NOOB with many questions

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Bazzgurl26, May 20, 2009.

1. Bazzgurl26

Bazzgurl26 Junior Member

Par: The picture I attached is as good as I can get. Im not really sure how to explain it, the beams are channels underneath and the channels are beams.. I know I am prolly not making much sense. SORRY!

Today we took a wire brush and got all the rust off the rollers and trailer. Got one primed and painted. I also Polished all the molding and Cleats that we removed yesterday. They look so much better. My hands hurt! Tommorow we are taking a break and going fishing.

Plans for next weekend: Finish repairs on the sole. Taking the motor to a repair shop for a diagnostic and shopping for accessories.

I think thats about it. I have more pictures of our SLOOOOOOOOW progress and I will post them in the AM... time for dinner!

2. erik818

erik818 Senior Member

It looks like the beams you see, or "corrugated material" serve as stringers. It also looks like the sole was glued to the beams. If that was the case, the bottom + beams + sole constitute a sort of sandwich which is very stiff.

If the glass on the beams is thick enough, which I guess is the case, it doesn't matter if the core is rotten.

Still another guess is that the boat is not made of epoxy, so moisture will migrate through the material into the space between bottom and sole. The new plywood you use as sole, glue (epoxy) onto the beams, and then glass over (epoxy again) will get rotten after a decade or so. I suggest you either accept that or find a way to ventilate it when not in water during the winter season.

Erik

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Erik818, I'm not sure where your experience lies, but clearly you've limited experience with encapsulated wooden elements. Properly embalmed, the wood will not rot "after a decade or so". Many examples of this actuality attest to this and is the basis of the wooden boat revival we've seen in the last 30 years.

4. Bazzgurl26

Bazzgurl26 Junior Member

Par: Quick question for you. You seem to be the most knowledgable... Someone told my husband to put a foam in the channels inbetween the Stringers? What is your thought on this and the purpose?? Also if this is something we should do what kind of foam?

We went to the lake today and as you can imagine everyone was out.....It made me so jealous to see them all having fun out on the water as I was STUCK up on shore. :( I hope this time next summer we are enjoying the boat in the water instead of in our garage.

5. PAR

You can foam if you want, but I wouldn't bother. It serves as buoyancy in case you swamp the boat, but trapped air in the chambers below the sole will do the same thing, plus and accumulated moisture can be drained off, whereas foam will eventually absorb it. Two part polyurethane foam (2 pound density) is the usual choice. Besides without the foam you can use these spaces for storage lockers, wet wells, etc. Okay, you can with the foam too.

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

That was a strike. He is...........

7. PAR

I'd blush, but I'm too bumed over Bolger.

8. Bazzgurl26

Bazzgurl26 Junior Member

Im confused!:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

9. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Bazzgurl; There is/was an old guy named Phil Bolger. He was one of the definitive thinkers and innovators in the boat design world. Many of his boats were butt ugly, like with plumb sides, and blunt bows. very near all of them worked very well indeed. Mr. B could and did many boat designs of the more conventional or even classic style. The pretty stuff is not what he was famous for. Too bad about that. Any way he was important to a lot of us. He was cantankerous, often humorous, and always thinking. He has several books in print.

Phil was 81 years old, he probably had onset Alzheimers or something of that sort. He wanted to depart these earthly coils before he became incompetant, incontinent, a burden to those who would care for him and all the rest that goes with that kind of malady. He shot himself, in private, with his own 45. A bunch of us, NO legions of us, are sad for his passing. I think most of us respect his decision. A few of us even wish for the guts to do the same under those circumstances. I trust that that will be a suitable explanation.

I have been lurking this thread for several days. Let me tell you Bazzgurl, you are one helluva woman, The kind that boaty guys will willingly pawn their soul for. One reason you are getting respectful attention and advice is your obvious enthusiasm for boat stuff. Chill gurl, I am not hitting on you, I am paying you a sincere guy thing kind of compliment.

10. Bazzgurl26

Bazzgurl26 Junior Member

Messabout: Thank you! I am very enthusiastic about this! I wish we could have gotten a boat with less needed work but having a boat that I can fix up and look back and say.. Wow, I did that! Its pretty exciting. I am stoked!!!

I truly appreciate all the help and advice you all have given me. I like knowing more then my husband!! ha ha

11. Bazzgurl26

Bazzgurl26 Junior Member

So I was trying to find seats (back to back seats) that allow storage but no such luck. I would like to have some way to store stuff on the boat. Would I be able to block off the bow and add a small hinged door and use that for storage? I am talking like Life jackets, First aid kit nothing too heavy. Do you think this is possible? Here is a pic of what I want to accomplish.

[​IMG]

12. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

Keep searching for back to back with storage. I had a great link that had them but lost it when I got wiped. they had lots of storage but they did not lay down flat. They are out there but I found a direct link not through marine stores. Goggle and goggle for storage seats.

13. Bazzgurl26

Bazzgurl26 Junior Member

If you ever come across that site again could you pass it along? I am being picky about the seats...lol I found these really nice ones at boatingseats.com.. it has red in it which is what I want to paint the boat (Red and White) http://www.boatingseats.com/Boat-Seats/340-Premium-Lounge-Seats.asp

We bought the bow light and repair manual for the motor yesterday and I am still looking for a horn for the bow. Found one at Cabela's but I wanna keep looking.

14. Lt. Holden

Lt. Holden Senior Member

You might google "Springfield Products" they are large American manufacturer of all types of marine seating. All of the reclining back-to-back seats I have ever seen all have storage inside; you could always modify them to suit by adding a drop down side or drawers or a rear pullout.

15. johnnyfire

johnnyfire New Member

Greetings all i saw phils name and had to chime in..

I recently worked with a friend of mine on a boat that Phil designed.
    Made here in Gloucester, MA.
    A green boat
    I will do my best to post photos later but being my first post would someone message me and point me in the right direction on where to post them.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.