Live oak lumber for restorations

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Steph McDougal, Jun 11, 2009.

1. Steph McDougal

Steph McDougal New Member

Here's a heads-up that in June/July 2009, the City of Galveston, Texas, will be removing hundreds of century-old live oak trees that died after being inundated with salt water during the days-long storm surge that accompanied Hurricane Ike last fall. I'm trying to make wooden boat/ship restorers aware that this lumber may be available for harvest/salvage. If you're interested, please contact me at steph (at) mcdoux (dot) com so I can put you in touch with the appropriate city officials. You would have to make your own arrangements to select and remove the trees, but this is a rare opportunity to potentially obtain live oak lumber.

Steph McDougal
    McDoux Preservation LLC
    Kemah, Texas

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.