Noob Help Plz.

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by CatsOwn, Apr 17, 2010.

1. CatsOwn

CatsOwn New Member

Im interested in starting to build boats (Small Jon Boats & small flats boats) via molds. I have searched all over the net but cant fing any "How to" sites that explain what equipment is needed and the process. Or maybe DVDs or someone in the Chicagoland area that wouldnt mind an "apprentice" of sorts. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Have you ever built a boat by any method? A previously built boat can be used to make a plug(male mold). Several mold discussions can be found in this forum. You need to search for them.

3. CatsOwn

CatsOwn New Member

Was looking for the "how to" with a mold. With the chop gun and all that. Like equipment needed, technique, etc. Ive helped a friend with stitch and glue but thats about it.

4. hoytedow

5. CatsOwn

CatsOwn New Member

That was a cool walk through. But lookin more for the chop gun. That was more like the fiberglass sub boxes my friend makes.

6. hoytedow

I have no chop gun experience.

7. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

A chopper gun is sort of like spraying texture on sheetrock. You sound like you want to go into the boatbuilding biz. If so, worrying about gun technique is a long ways down the road, a real long ways.

8. CatsOwn

CatsOwn New Member

Im very interested into going into boat building. Ive always loved builing things. Helped a friend build an addition on his house, helped a friend build a fiberglass enclosure that filled the trunk of his car, build a half dozen cat towers, etc. But when it comes to the boats Ive been looking into working with molds but cant really find any info on the net. Anything I looked up about molding boats or boat molds I was just learning the best way to clean mold off boats. lol So hey. If you want a clean boat Im your guy. heh But its not really helpin me find the info I want. And i ran across this site where all the stuff is listed in the market place so Ive seen point A (some equipment) and point C (The boats) but Im still missing Point B (How to use A to get to C). Id be happy to get a job working @ a boat mfg if I knew one in the area hiring to get exp, help someone out or be shown where I can get the info and try myself like I usualy do on projects.

9. TollyWally

TollyWally Senior Member

Just start reading books from the library on building fiberglass boats. Read up on all sorts of techniques. It's not super complicated but you need to aquire a body of knowledge. The boat biz is on it's *** right now, a job is going to be tough to come up with.

Go to the library. Read 10 or 20 old books on it. By then you'll be able to ask intelligent questions. The rest will take care of itself.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.