Nontoxic Apoxy Alternative

Discussion in 'Materials' started by simonpjames, Oct 27, 2015.

1. simonpjames

simonpjames New Member

Does anyone know of a non-toxic/eco-friendly waterproofing agent or epoxy alternative? I look forward to hearing back. Cheers!

2. markstrimaran

markstrimaran Senior Member

non toxic. water proofer

Epoxy is after it is cured.
    Bees wax. Tree pitch. Masonry mortar. Hot glue gun. And duck feathers.

1 person likes this.
  3. Pericles

Pericles Senior Member

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Epoxy is a coating and is also an adhesive. In this vein, there's no substitute that comes close. There are other coatings and there are other adhesives, but no single product that does both, let alone as well.

There is a new formulation getting some traction called a Novolac. These phenol formaldehyde formulations can offer some sensitivity protection, though the jury is still out on its effectiveness as a coating. Some are using UV inhibitors, so they can be used straight (no varnish), but wait until the testing is done (I'm performing tests now), as I suspect these inhibitors will simply offer more time, before the epoxy starts to depolymerize. These Novolacs also tend to be pretty thick, but again vosicity modifiers are being used to help. They do have much higher chemical and heat resistance, but we'll just have to wait and see how they hold up. The one I'm working with has an accelerator (more phenols) that can cut the cure time dramatically, as needed for the working environment, but they also tend to alter the physical qualities, at least from what I've seen in the preliminary testing results, with highly (15% - 20%) activated batches.

To get back to the OP's questions, you can use a different adhesive, such as PVA's or polyurethanes and move to a different coating, but these coatings will not "encapsulate" the wood like epoxy, so you're talking paint and similar, which is fine, given the appropriate associated maintenance.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.