NON US and NON UK school

Discussion in 'Education' started by pranavom8, Jan 6, 2012.

1. pranavom8

pranavom8 Junior Member

Hello people,
    I'm new to this forum, and like any newbie I have come here seeking a help, I'm right now going to complete my undergraduation in mechanical engineering from an Indian university :), I'm interested in pursuing an MSc in naval architecture. I'm more interested in small crafts and yacht design. As new visa rules have sprung up I donot want to opt UK as I will have no job opportunity, and for various reasons I dont wanna go to the US, which universities from other parts of the world offer MSc as my interest stated above :confused: Please help, Thanks in advance

2. Submarine Tom

Submarine Tom Previous Member

I don't know, but, I wonder if you wouldn't be farther ahead to get work in a ship yard and learn while being paid...?

-Tom

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

What languages are you fluent on?

4. pranavom8

pranavom8 Junior Member

English

5. rxcomposite

rxcomposite Senior Member

Universities all over the world offering Naval Architecture has been posted here. I think it was from Angelique?

6. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

There are schools in many countries, but in English maybe Canada is the only other choice.

7. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

Depends if your Indian degree is acceptable to the University you want to go to . Canada ... Australia...NZ lots of indians in NZ

8. pranavom8

pranavom8 Junior Member

hey guys,thanks for your replies. I know southampton is an England university, I went through the visa regulations yesterday I think I have a fair chances there, how good is the MSc Maritime Science Yacht and small craft course in university of southampton??? And how good is the boat Industry in europe and UK so that I could find myself a job after my postgraduation

9. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You will struggle to get any job in Europe or North America. Experienced NAs are not getting work.

10. pranavom8

pranavom8 Junior Member

Thanks on your reply, they said southampton has a good placement track, anyone studying there!!!

11. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

You seem to be using the degree course as an alternative to immigration as you talk of getting a job after graduation......despite what they say UK is a very racist country particularly the south coast where all the boats are.....not many boat yards in bradford.

12. pranavom8

pranavom8 Junior Member

I have a friend of mine who works there with the rolls royce(aerospace) and he has good remarks over the place, and its not that I see this as an alternative to immigration, I dont come there on sponsor or scholarships. I cant jeopardize my parent's money being stranded without a job there after my graduation

13. pranavom8

pranavom8 Junior Member

But still what will be your suggestion?

14. pistnbroke

pistnbroke I try

I think its a big ask to pick a course with the intention of then getting a job in the same country...makes it complex as well a a student visa being different from residency unless you want to become an illegal.

I would be asking the university about what % of students got a job after graduation in the UK or went home and got a job ...these are not good times

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Singapore, Malaysia, Dubai, Saudi

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.