Non skid top coats

Discussion in 'Materials' started by SeaPickle22, Nov 30, 2014.

1. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Sprinkled on by hand never gives a pro finish . Only pro shops can spray.

Roll is the way its done. Mix the particles into paint that is thinned to your normal roll and brush viscosity, then use the two roller technique.

How much grit to add is a good question. I follow the instructions . Be scientific when you measure the grit so that each panel looks the same. If you have the opportunity to buy coarse and fine grit purchase both. A combo of coarse and fine gives a better, more even , appearance

Only use a nap roller for non skid. Foam rollers will leave track marks and make a mess.

Paper off the area because the second roll,with the dry roller, tends to splatter paint all over. .

2. gdavis

gdavis Junior Member

now we're talking,i've been watching this thread, almost gone full circle. For about the last 20 yrs I have seen awlgrip griptex used over and over again on multi million smackers yachts. Sprayed on, rolled on, brushed on, sprinkled on. I just helped a friend of mine do the decks on his houseboat, the first coat of easypoxy was rolled on too a still wee bit tacky vinyl ester glass job. Then the griptex was sprinkled on, fine and course with a homemade shaker, this was followed with two more coats of easypoxy. You don't have to use awlgrip paints only. So if Sabre Yachts,Hinkley, Morris,Lyman Morse, Back Cove, Maritime Skiffs,Billings, Wayfarer, Front Street Ship Yard, B.B.Y., Rockport Marine and on and on are using griptex I say that's proof enough that it's good stuff. ....................peace out.................g

Last edited: Jan 9, 2015
  3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

Is you need three coats of paint to nonskid a deck, you will go bankrupt .

Twenty years downstream , after3 or 4 deck refinishes x three coats each , and you will have a thick non skid mess.

Mix the griptex in the paint and only apply one coat over a correctly prepared surface.

No overcoating

4. gdavis

gdavis Junior Member

say what,the non skid I just helped my friend with was done the way he wanted to do it. I tried to get him to do one coat first and then sprinkle it then one more coat but he's a stubborn sort and that's that. Easypoxy is a very durable paint that will not bankrupt you. What kind of paint are you using that covers in one coat? A deck refinish should only take one coat. I would say that 90% of the time I have seen griptex used it has been sprayed which is the best method there is. Just ask a few people that actually do this for a living...............................later..g

Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.