non skid application

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by brokensheer, Jul 23, 2010.

1. brokensheer

brokensheer Senior Member

I was told its possible to use a Schutz gun (auto bed liner/ undercoating)to apply thickend gel coat to a plug or mold does anyone have the recipe or tech data,, the random pattern looks great!,

2. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Yes, I think it is possible. The gun I have needs a cartridge and works by bleeding some air into the cartridge so the thick stuff is forced in the suction tube.

These cartridges are sold filled with gray or black undercoating only, so you'd have to empty one and clean it with solvent, then fill it with gel coat and hardener, wait for the right consistency and quickly spray it onto the surface.

3. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Ever tempted to use Gibco Flexmold? Then you can create the fancy patterns that many boatbuilders use. Here is a link to a website which carries the stuff, and has pictures: http://www.brandscomposiet.nl/products.php?group=51.01

If you need thickened gelcoat, you can mix in some extra aerosil. Then wait for a day, mix again, and filter through stockings (no fishnet stockings, please...).

This is better then waiting for the stuff to gel.

4. brokensheer

brokensheer Senior Member

I have had good results fron thickening with gycerene( spelling) but I can't find it