Seeking plans for tiny marsh boat

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by EvelynRose, Dec 16, 2021.

Tags:
  1. EvelynRose

EvelynRose New Member

Greetings! I've recently moved just down the road from a marsh, and I want to build something quick and easy to explore the little waterways and lakes. I've been diving down the rabbit-hole of one-sheet builds (and an impressive rabbit-hole it is), and could use some help finding a plan that suits my needs.

Must-haves:
    - Small and light enough for me to carry down the road and along a questionably-maintained forest path (I weigh under 140 lbs and don't plan on much cargo, so I can get away with a smaller vessel in exchange for ease of carry)
    - Shallow draft for marsh navigability
    - Narrow locomotion for marsh navigability (so kayak or canoe paddles ok, long oars not so much)
    - Cheap and easy build. (Say, under $100) I did a beautiful stitch-and-glue build as a kid and it took me years to finish all the glassing and sanding. I'm looking for something I can knock out in a weekend or so without a table saw.

Nice-to-haves:
    - it would be fantastic if I could stand up and peer over the marsh grass, but that may be impossible with the size profile I'm aiming for.
    - Cute. Although they're more work than I'm looking to put into this, and probably too beamy to paddle, I love the half pea and baby boat: Halfpea | Free Boat Plans http://hvartial.kapsi.fi/dinghy44/dinghy4.htm, One sheet boats http://flo-mo.weebly.com/one-sheet-boats.html

So far this is seeming like the right direction, but I'm hesitant to follow it directly where the builder doesn't seem to be a boat person: One Sheet Plywood Boat https://www.instructables.com/One-Sheet-Plywood-Boat/

DogCavalry likes this.
  2. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Welcome to the forum, @EvelynRose . I'm from Meteghan, just across the Bay of Fundy.
    For propulsion, hunt around for issue 100 of Woodenboat magazine. There's a briliant article about sculls and yullohs.

Have you thought about a stand up paddleboard? It would seem to meet your SOR (Statement of Requirements), quite nicely.

3. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Skin on frame kayak does everything except allow you to stand up. At least I can't.
    Dave Gentry has a whole site on SOF boats.
    His method should be cheap.
    You can paint it to look "cute" with household paints.
    Quickest, cheapest kayak I built - 7 of them, especially compared to strip planked kayaks - 5 of them.
    Can be very light also.
    Gentry's kayaks seem to have a heavier frame than Yost kayaks.
    There are others of course.
    Good luck, and keep use informed in your progress - please.

4. EvelynRose

EvelynRose New Member

Hi @DogCavalry ! Nice tagline :)
    I have looked at SUPs a bit, and they seem like a great option except for the cost. Every reasonable build I've seen requires a full coat of fiberglass/epoxy, which is well over $100 by itself :\

Checking out skulling and yulohs now, super cool!

And thanks @upchurchmr , I'll look into skin frame kayaks. I was also looking at coracles.

DogCavalry likes this.
  5. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

Tiny Turnip likes this.
  7. hoytedow

With prices going up on everything that $100 target will be hard to hit.

8. BlueBell

BlueBell . . . _ _ _ . . . _ _ _

SOF can be done for under $100, barely.

SUP can be built for a bit more...

9. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

Foam platform, sculled with a long paddle. Tastes great! Less filling.

hoytedow likes this.
  10. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

I agree with the foam platform!!!
    [​IMG]
    Just substitute oars or paddle for the motor/battery.
    A shorter chair would help, and shape the foam. :D:D

Scuff, Tiny Turnip and hoytedow like this.
  11. Tiny Turnip

Tiny Turnip Senior Member

I suspect that stand uppable and (seated) paddleable are somewhat contradictory. But puntable?

I'm a fan of Hannu's boatyard. I'd suggest that the micro auray Micro Auray Punt | Free Boat Plans http://hvartial.kapsi.fi/ossauray/auray_u.htm would give you a better boat than the half pea. If you carried oars, then you've got options to row, paddle or punt, depending on conditions. A little trolley might help with the walk in, but its still less than one sheet of 4mm ply...

Or... would a small inflatable/ float tube work for you? Home made from an innertube?

Kinetic Fish Hunter Float Tube Belly Boat Green, Waveinn https://www.waveinn.com/nautical-fishing/kinetic-fish-hunter-float-tube-belly-boat/138443151/p?utm_source=google_products&utm_medium=merchant&id_producte=14504837&country=uk&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk4aOBhCTARIsAFWFP9GeWAbS33RNx8bCmKJgCmjU2bGPKMFRJ_m7LDkC_W7-ODF2NzgLbM0aAuWWEALw_wcB&gclsrc=aw.ds

Last edited: Dec 21, 2021
  12. EvelynRose

EvelynRose New Member

Well folks, it turns out sometimes the best way to get into a really shallow and densely-vegetated area is to wait for it to freeze over and walk XD

After further scouting, I don't think I'll be able to get a boat of any description in there come summer. I'll have to contain my boating to the much more navigable lakes a bit further afield. (Possibly with a SUP >.>)

Appreciate all the great suggestions, definitely got my gears turning and may turn into a future project yet.

DogCavalry likes this.
  13. hoytedow

Well, good luck anyway but take a day for yourself and visit the maritime museum in Halifax, N.S..

DogCavalry likes this.
  14. DogCavalry

DogCavalry Senior Member

I love that place.

15. hoytedow

It's a great place. I was able to see it thanks to the generosity of viking north.
    I haven't heard from him lately. I hope he is well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.