Non-skid addative

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by KMD, Feb 22, 2006.

1. KMD

KMD Junior Member

I am fiberglassing a workboat deck and I am trying to find a non-skid additive to add into the final coat of epoxy resin I apply to the deck. Does anybody have a name brand or a online store where I can purchase a non-skid additive's. I have also got replys on my other posts that I could use sugar, should I do this? This is an old wooden workboat so it doesnt have to be a yacht quality finish. How much additive should I add to the epoxy resin on the final coat, what is the ratio? Thanks for all your help this has been a great source of information.

2. jimslade

jimslade Senior Member

heavy grit sandblasting sand

3. Caldera Boats

Caldera Boats Beer4Ballast......

Grits work well. Yep the kind you eat. They soak up the paint and make a nice rough surface.

4. grp.boat

grp.boat Junior Member

i use granite chippings in the gelcoat. works really well.

steve

5. Karsten

Karsten Senior Member

Sugar is pretty good too. You wasch it away once the epoxy has cured and it leaves a foam like structure with tiny, very sharp edges that cut into anything. It's good if they cut into the shoe sole but not so good if it's your bum or ankle. Why not make some test panels? All the stuff is quite cheap.

6. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I've heard of using salt the same way as sugar. Fine sand works. It doesn't take very much of whatever you use, a lot less than you would think and the less there is, the easier it is to clean. Sam

7. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

Any sand but sea sand! sea sand (beach) is full of chemicals etc that will react with your paint etc, unless of course it's well washed and I mean WELL washed!

8. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

algrip has a addative for non skid its soft when mixed with gelcoat or paint and soaks up the paint and becomes hard after it drys it gives a good even coat looks like 80 grit costs about 30 a quart and will mix a gallon you can spray it with a regular gun or roll it

9. KMD

KMD Junior Member

Thanks for the replys, If I use sand blasting sand or surgar what ratio should I add in to the resin? I will check out the all grip, I have seen several types of non-skid additive for mixing with paints, but none of them said it will work with resin.
    I dont want something super rough, I would like to be able to walk on the deck in bare feet and not hurt my self or wear the skin off my feet, I want just enough non-skid so its not slik and slipery.

This is an old workboat on the chesapeake bay, I use it to recreational crab and fish, but ocasionally take my family out and we swim off the boat and hang out so the kids will be walking on the deck in bare feet.

with this said what type of non skid additive should I use? I have also read several different ways to apply non-skid, I was going to mix it in with the final coat of resin I apply, is this the best way to do it?
    Thanks for all your help.

10. buckknekkid

buckknekkid Senior Member

I've got the perfect demonstration deck for you !!! as soon as I install it:D

11. jbassion

jbassion Semi-Pro

How come no one mentioned Alum. oxide? It's the most common, comes in all grits, and you can mix it in the coating or sprinkle it on between coats.

12. wdnboatbuilder

wdnboatbuilder Senior Member

Pettit makes a non-skid, the best way to apply is to roll the paint,resin.... ans find an old sray paint gun and spray your grit and roll your paint. It looks more uniform and come out the best I have seen yet. 3 coats and your done.

13. JR-Shine

JR-Shine SHINE

self editing, dont want to be called a spammer

14. War Whoop

War Whoop Senior Member

That's Awl grip Griptex It comes in two grades I always used the fine and just applied it thru a spraygun the cool thing is you can make a factory looking job with fine line and some creative masking it mixes with anything gelcoat/duratec,and of course paint also it is repairable..

It was the militarys favorite ..also I put about every non-skid known to man on the floor one day and the keys fishing captains chose that over all hands down..

15. fiberglass jack

fiberglass jack Senior Member

sorry thats what i ment to say awl grip