generate rudder / centerboard 3d model for cnc router

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by maxxrobb, Dec 9, 2016.

1. maxxrobb

maxxrobb New Member

Hello,

I'm looking for someone who already has designed a profiled rudder or centerboard with the help of a CAD software
    and perhaps even manufactured it by the use of a CNC router.

I would be glad to know how you proceeded.

For the construction, I have considered the following sequence.

1. Draw the head area as well as the outer contour
    2. Insert the profiles (90 ° tilted)
    3. Place the surface over the contour and profiles

It is a bit time-consuming, but it works.
    I would be glad if someone has ever dealt with the subject and can give me information.
    Also interested me, if there is a program, which can generate a 3D model after entering
    the basic data (thickness, length, profile, etc.).

Thank you very much

Attached Files:

2. Turnpoint

Turnpoint Junior Member

Rhino 3d is the program I use for this. You are on the right track in that you start with the profile and your foil section. The head can usually be a simple extrusion to make it flat/ rectangular in section. For the blade I like to use a two rail sweep... basically you seperate the leading and trailing edges of your profile drawing, place the foil section at the thickest end of that, and then use a two rail sweep command to apply that section along the two curves. It is a pretty slick command for this and goes very quickly. The other way to do it is place multiple foil sections along the 2d profile and use a loft command. At that point some time must be spent to blend the foil in with the head, and to also shape the tip of the foil. When CNC cutting one offs there is always a happy medium between programming, cutting time and hand shaping. If this is only to be cut once in wood, then you should not spend 5 hours trying to get the perfect foil tip or head blend in the design, if it will only take 30 minutes to shape those areas with some sand paper.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.