roll and tip method

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by SeaPickle22, Dec 2, 2014.

1. SeaPickle22

SeaPickle22 New Member

what is the proper way to roll and tip? how many coats do you need on a hull? do your brush strokes still show up?

2. kavos

kavos carpenter, shipwright

3. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

You roll the paint the lightly tip the bubbles with a soft paint brush. It depends on the leveling qualities of the paint whether it will show brush strokes. Humidity and temperature influence the results too.

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Roll and tip is like making love. The first few times you have at it, you can barely please yourself, but with some practice and possibly guidance, you soon can satisfy a prom date.

5. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

The paint needs to be thinned appropriately, experiment to see what is ideal. Probably like PAR's prom date who needed a drink or two for best results.

6. PAR

Yeah, pretty much, though I was the one that need the drinks, as my date was willing, though pretty ugly. It's a try it and you'll get it, though not all paints need thinning, some work fine right out of the can. Practice on some plywood scrap. Prime it, fair it, smooth it and prep for top coats. Paint is all about the prep, so get these things down and the top coat technique will look the best. The tipping brush should be dry and held nearly vertical. Dry the brush when it gets loaded up and don't over stroke the paint, just knock off the roller stipple.

7. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Gonzo mentioned a soft paint brush I will add my preference to that, "a soft expensive natural hair paint brush". Be sure to give it a good hand wacking (Paul's fallback position on the " Oh My God"s) :) to knock out loose hair and possibly a little vacuuming might also help. Nothing too aggressive. The other question you might have is brush size, again my preference is a 3in., a 31/2 in. and a 4 in. Like wise in addition to a selection of different sized rollers do not skimp on their quality and again a gentle vacuuming will help remove loose hair and factory dust. Above all preparation, preparation preparation is the word.

P.S. Hand wacking brush technique --Hold the brush tightly in the right hand if right handed or left hand if left handed, Then briskly but not too aggressively flail the brush up and down across the open facing up palm of the other hand . Be extremely careful you don't become too excited and forget the task at hand ----

8. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

A friend of mine showed me a good way of getting stray hairs. Tap the brush on masking tape and most of the loose hairs come off.

9. viking north

viking north VINLAND

There you go Gonzo,another new trick learned by this old dog :).

10. PAR

I use a wire brush on every new one I get, to remove stray hairs.

11. viking north

viking north VINLAND

That's usually my saving grace when I'm too dam lazy to clean one properly :D

12. PAR

Ohhh, you're talking about paint brushes. I was talking about why I'm bald . . .

13. viking north

viking north VINLAND

Ha Ha , I thought that might have resulted from manual extraction due to frustration with a certain northern project :D
    Earlier tonight I was trying to recall the last roll and tip job I did. While the memory is sharp the time that has passed is scary. It was my son's 16ft. Halman using Interlux two part polyurethane. I do recall it was a little time sensitive to work with but the result was very very close to spray.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.