noisy outdrive

Discussion in 'Sterndrives' started by cattelona, Jun 18, 2011.

1. cattelona

cattelona Junior Member

hi all,
    one of the two volvo 200 outdrive makes a slight rattle when engine is ticking over also but to a lesser degree when in gear noise disapears when i increase the revs , I bought the boat 18 months ago and was told the legs had both been rebuilt & checked ? anyone have any ideas.
    many thanks
    nick

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

It can be gears or a loose bushing or bearing.
    Also, it could be a u-joint

3. CDK

CDK retired engineer

Could it be that the noise does not really disappear but gets lost between other noises when you increase the rpm?
    To quickly find out if it originates from an u-joint, turn the outdrive from left to right at idle rpm. If the noise doesn't change substantially, the problem is in the lower gear case.

Unscrew the bottom plug a few turns and see what comes out: water, milk, oil with metal scrapings etc. If it is just clean gear oil and the level seems OK, accept the noise for this boating season.

4. cattelona

cattelona Junior Member

hi Gonzo,
    thanks for your reply , I have checked u-joint im pretty sure its ok no play in any direction, the sound is from the top of the leg, I am going to have a go at it today and will let you know if i find anything like the bearings or gears worn.
    many thanks
    Nick

5. cattelona

cattelona Junior Member

Hi CDK,
    Thanks for reply, oil is good no bits in it noise same with leg in any direction sound is at the top of the leg , I am having a look today will let you know what I find.
    Many thanks
    Nick

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.