1st post TOTAL newb, OMC 4.3 Q's...

Discussion in 'Gas Engines' started by CuddyinTN, Jun 22, 2011.

1. CuddyinTN

CuddyinTN New Member

I have an OMC 4.3 with the usual cracked block, I am planning on buying a late 80's s10 motor, doing necc. maintenance and swapping my mani's, fuel, and elec. system. One thing is i have no heads. I was wondering if i can use standard 4.3 heads b/c they seem to be a bit cheaper...Sorry if any of this is stupid! Thanks Justin

2. CuddyinTN

CuddyinTN New Member

Come on guys, casting number on back of block is 14099090, from what I have gathered that is the 96-98 4.3? Is this correct? Thanks

3. Tahoerover

Tahoerover Junior Member

Quality marine heads will have one piece stainless valves, dual springs and spring rotators. Typical off the shelf automotive heads will not. Will they work ,yes, They will live a short life in a boat.

4. 7228sedan

7228sedan Senior Member

Cuddy, Not sure if you have done anything yet, but the Mercruiser 4.3 2 barrel motors in my father's boat were off the shelf GM Vortec 4.3 Long block's. The carb, ignition accessories etc are proprietary to Merc, but the long block is what you'll want to swap out. If you can get a Vortec 4.3 that'd be your best bet as they'll have the stainless valves and be more or less a replacement marine long block. FYI Vortec 4.3's started in 1988. Good Luck!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.