inflatable boat with jet drive - is that possible?

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by DRY_GIN, Apr 1, 2006.

1. DRY_GIN

DRY_GIN New Member

Hello!

I want to buy an inflatable boat with no big pieces ( so i can put it into my van, and store it in my apartment.

But I want it with jet drive, because it nicer and faster and safer comparing to propeller drives.

Is that possible to do?
    I want something like 14" boat.

On ebay I only saw jet boats (inflatable) but with solid base, so you have to have trailer in order to transport such boats (like Rigid Inflatable)

My friend told me that jet drives are heavy and big, so it's impossible to use them in purely inflatable boats.

Is that true?, I mean maybe some manufacturer sells jet drives in compact size, or where is other solutions..?

please let me know what you think.

Thanks to all for answers.

2. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

It is possible, although maybe not for a 14 footer. I think you'd need something over 17-18
    Visit: http://www.jetpac.us/

Attached Files:

3. DRY_GIN

DRY_GIN New Member

Thanks for the link Guillermo!
    At least now i have a hope that it is possible.
    On their web site they do not list any prices or places where i could order their drive.
    For now they list minimum requirement as 15" so i guess this kind of boat will fit the car storage area with the engine and gasoline tank..

Also they are in process of developing smaller engines, and i hope in near future they could come up with something even smaller and better.

thanks again.

Best regards,

4. Guillermo

You have to ask them directly for a quotation. Actual units are 150+ HP, so they are somewhat bulky for a 15 footer. I've mounted one JetPac in Spain on a 21 footer and it works nicely. Maybe they will develope smaller units.
    Cheers

5. fede

fede Senior Member

Hi Guillermo, I'm based in Italy, I'm currently working on
    a "professional" version of a 7.5 RIB that has got to have a jet and not a prop for safety reasons.
    I was pretty shure that a single 250 hp mercury jet drive was the way to go (we are talking gasoline and not diesel)
    but now i'm seriously considering the Jetpac.
    I wrote the company for the info and cost,but my biggest concern is post sale assistance.
    Tis seems to be a pretty young company and I'm noteven shure they have a distribution in Italy.
    Having said that I'm also aware that the engine is an idiot proof chevy based V8 very well known by any mechanic on the this planet...

6. Guillermo

Yeap, that's mine too, although when we needed replacement parts for the unit in Spain, they were quick to send them.
    150 HP diesel JetPac, which is the one I've tested, works nicely. Boat gets on the plane easily and maneouverability is amazing as you have thrust from the jet located well aft off the stern. JetPac also allows for overloading of the vessel without damaging the engine, which is good for working boats.
    You have to notice JetPacs are not, at this moment, CE marked. Mike Moses, from Swordmarine, told me they will get it done in April.

7. fede

fede Senior Member

Hi Guillermo,thanks for pointing out the CE marking issue,
    One of the reasons I could choose jetpac instead of mercury jetdrive is that the unit is self contained and there
    should be no need to do the noise test according to CE rules,april is now so there should be no problem...
    Also,do you have tech drawings or measures for the 250 hp gas unit?

8. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Zodiac's ProJet 350 has an 80-odd hp Yamaha jet in a 3.5m RIB hull. If you want fully inflatable (no rigid hull), consider a jet outboard; Johnson and Merc both have some. In the small-jet-inboard category, look at the Merc jet drives which are essentially an OptiMax powerhead bolted to a jetski pump; if you have a bit more budget and a rigid hull, the Aggressor JU-S is a good choice for small high-speed boats.

9. Guillermo

I do not have tech drawings, sorry.
    Measures for the 275 HP unit are:
    Length: 145 cm
    Width: 102 cm
    Height: 107 cm

Dry weight is 428 kg. When mounted the unit partially floats, taking part of its weight depending on the deadrise at the stern, let's say tipically something like 150-200 kg, so you'll have a 'net' weight at the stern of around 250 kg.
    Deadrise at the stern should be between 5º and 22º
    The jet propeller has 250 mm diameter and the bollard pull is 523 kgf

Cheers

10. fede

fede Senior Member

Thanks Guillermo, wow...the unit is BIG...

11. Guillermo

Yes, it is big. I attach a photo from the JetPac we mounted in an existing 21' clams farming boat. Sidesteps and bars are to avoid the bumps these boats receive almost everyday due to the rude use.

Attached Files:

12. DRY_GIN

DRY_GIN New Member

i got response from JetPack:
    --------------------------------------------------
    Dear Alex,

I am sorry, but the boat needs to be at least 18 feet long and weigh 1,200 lbs or more for our current JetPac models. We do anticipate having 50 and 75 hp models in the future. The time frame for smaller models keeps changing. At present, I do not have a reliable time frame.

Sincerely,

Michael R. Moses
    Sword Marine Technology, Inc.
    mike.moses@swordmarine.com
    386-676-7685
    --------------------------------------------------

So i guess JetPack is not an option for me as of today ;(

marshmat :
    you mentioned 80hp Yamaha jet drive.
    I did not find a place to check for it's dimensions and price..

Is where any specific web site that lists all small jet drives , prices etc. ?

Thanks!

13. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

The Yamaha I mentioned was a custom setup for Zodiac in their ProJet 350 series. I don't think you can just buy one.
    If you want a boat you can fold and put in your van, it will be outboard powered. No inboard jet drive will be light enough to do this with. There are plenty of jet outboards; many of the major outboard makers sell them. IF you want a jet inboard, expect to invest in a trailer and rigid hull as well.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.