Noah's Ark Crown Anchor?

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by DanishBagger, Apr 20, 2006.

1. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

First of all, I want to apologise, because this is propably in the wrong place, but I have no idea where to ask a question about anchors. So, in advance, I'm sorry about that.

Anyway, I stumbled upon this "modern" admiralty anchor, called the Ark Crown Anchor.

www.noahs-ark-anchors.com

Despite the site being a pain in the butt to read (there's bolded, underlined words, words in ''' and so forth, but he says it because it's also used for educational purposes, so please ignore that), I really like the design of it, and apparently the stock can fold, meaning I might be able to get it under the floorboards.

My question is, what do you think of this type of anchor, especially for a small boat, weighing around 500kgs?

I like that it's both old-fashioned, yet modern (and it goes under the floorboards!)

Andre

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Doesn't look much different from the traditional 'admiralty' conventional-stock anchor to me. It would probably have similar performance and be suitable for similar conditions. Probably a reasonably versatile anchor, but I suspect less holding power than a Delta or CQR of equivalent weight. Also, I'm generally leery of companies who boast a Web site that screws up basic conventions of layout and readability... kind of makes you wonder what else they might screw up.
    (Stockless anchors, of course, have no place on small boats... they're for when you need to haul it up into a hawsepipe, and have the winch capacity to do so.)

3. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Wait, when you say "stockless", do you mean like a cqr, a bruce and that sort, or?

It's just - let's say I buy the above, or a "real" fisherman's (with a tad bigger flukes), are you saying that would be better than, say, a danforth, bruce, or what have we?

Yikes, all of a sudden I'm super-confused ... :(

Okay, let's say I get a 5kg Bruce instead - you're saying it has better holding power, but you advice against it. - is that because there's not enough weight on a leaded anchor line? And if I had chain it would be too heavy on a little boat?

Edited, after second thoughts ...

4. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

CQR, Bruce, etc. all have a stock- it just looks a bit different. "Stockless" (at least around here, might be different across the pond) refers to the 'navy' type used on battleships, freighters, etc- just a pair of big flukes, with the chain attached where the flukes meet. They need to be really heavy in order to dig in far enough to hold, hence why they don't work on smaller craft. What works best- fisherman's, traditional, bruce, cqr, delta, whatever- depends mainly on what makes up the sea bottom in your usual cruising grounds.

5. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Ah, finally I got you - I have seen those anchors - I didn't know they were called "stockless". Phew, thank a bunch :)

I wouldn't want one of those anchors - again, thanks!

I guess you're right about the noah-site, though. I guess I'll continue looking for "normal" fisherman's and/or some other nice anchor.

Thanks for your advice, and patience :)

6. safewalrus

safewalrus Ancient Marriner

CQR and Bruce have stocks? Yeah right (old Naval saying "and my c**** a bloater)........were oh wise and clever person? Please enlighten me (the old walrus is a bit thick!)

As to Noahs effort; I DO like his large flukes, they look bloody useful, but the gimmicky stock a few inches away? looks more like a grapple to me, useful for creeping for bottom lines - crab pots, lost anchor lines etc but then yer big flukes would dig in and cancel that out! May as well shove a chain up the a*** of a hedgehog and chuck that over! No, for me the original 'fishermans' has been around a long time and has evolved to that shape etc for a reason, and withstood the test of time - why reinvent the wheel?

This is my opinion only (backed up by a small amount of experience!)!

How's about using a killick?

7. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

8. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I think putting it out will be one thing, but at 1000# plus, getting it back in the boat is going to be a *****!;) Sam

9. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

LOL, Sam - yes, not quite proper grammar in that sentence :p

10. Guillermo

Guillermo Ingeniero Naval

11. DanishBagger

DanishBagger Never Again

Cool, thanks - Loads on information there - super thanks!

I received a reply from the manufacturer of the Ark-anchor - and, although I always like an enthustiastic manufacturer with the time for his customers, I found him a tiny tad too intense (I like a measured dose of alliterations).

I send him an email, asking for a manufacturer in Europe etc - this is my pretty informal mail, as I tend to do when writing mails:

And this is what I got in return:

Ok, nice enough, and pretty expensive to be shipped to Denmark, but way too intense.

But, anyways, thank you, Guillermo :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.