No natural disasters in 2009

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Frosty, Dec 25, 2009.

1. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

The markets are always a crap shoot. Yes, sometimes more stable then others, but still legal gambling. You can worry about it yourself of pay someone else to do it.

Ranting and raving has never fixed anything, nor made anyone live longer or more comfortably. I've learned log ago to use staff when you don't understand something or belly up and learn it myself. Fortunately, I'm a hands on person and I don't fear the sky falling, just my inability to learn something quick enough.

There are those that do and those that cry about the people that do. I'm a doer and anyone can be what they want, but most just complain about the doers. I'm not rich, but my 3,100 sq. ft. home is paid for and the 10 acres it sits on is too. The several cars and boats are also paid for, though I still carry a mortgage on a rental property, the rent is well over twice the mortgage payment. I have several buildings on my property and lots of animals to love. I'm a lucky guy, but it didn't come from bitching about a fluctuating market (like this is a surprise to anyone that watches the markets), it came from education, work and lots of effort. Now I'm getting old, my body is paying for the years of hard work, but at least I don't have to worry about them taking my home from me. 'Ya see, I planned for this and worked for it. I didn't get it all, but I got enough.

2. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

In the "big picture" senerio , can I suggest that America will once more become great, probably more so than its finest day which was somewhere in the 60;s

Unfortunately an utter and complete break down of USA is needed and unfortunately necessary.

If the US declines into a Mad Max type world that had lootings, murder, a complete breakdown of social and economic life, with prisoners freed or escaped and survival was cave man like, then I think from the strength and diversity of the human race will arise a new type of life, one we can not yet imagine but the days of corrupt politicians must end --MUST,in order for us to move on.

From the Us could arise a new world of some other governmental way of employment, taxations and social assistance, and lets face it US is the worst Western country for this,-- if your on the bottom it can only get better.

I imagine the whole of US to be utilized in a better way. Inner cities as known in the past will no longer exist as life in the sticks will become necessary.

This new way of life will spread around the world and be the standard of human society until we evacuate the planet,-- some time in,--- July???

3. masalai

masalai masalai

Well don Par, I hope you stay safe well and happy...

I do not intend to evacuate any-where except when using an appropriate toilet facility...

I hope to go on an extended cruise in the local region surrounding the Coral Sea, and possibly up north to drink some of Frosty' beer... and deliver some home brew as well as bought brews during my travels...

4. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Wow, all this wailing and gnashing of teeth.

Not once in this entire discussion have I heard the one word that (for me) sums up what's going on in the money markets.

Deleveraging......

Individuals and Corporations borrowed waaaay more than they should have. They did this because relaxed financial regulations allowed it. The Glass-Steagall Act was repealed in full in 1999. What we got for that legislation was the lost decade from 99 to 09.

Deleveraging is the unpleasant process of getting out from under ones debt. Individuals are in the process of doing this and will continue to do so as a group for many years here in the US. They didn't borrow trillions overnight and they will not resolve this problem quickly. Inability to borrow money is a consequence of deleveraging so demand for goods falls. Demand can't really get going again until the deleveraging process runs it course. Of course there are many who can't (or won't) voluntarily deleverage. These are the people who declare bankruptcy. These folks shift the problem to banks and financial institutions as the banks now carry the defaulted assets on thier balance sheets.

The US isn't going to fall into some black hole and the dollar isn't going away. That said though there is some merit to the concerns of people who worry.

I majored in Economics years ago in college. We have an expression in the field. It's called "regression to the mean". This is a mathematical concept based in differential calculus. It's a fancy way of saying "everything averages out". That's where we're at. The boom was an illusion based on bad business models. Now we're (as a group) paying back for the excesses.

It won't be fun, but we'll survive.......but slow growth will be the norm for years. Central bankers will do what they need to so that growth doesn't STOP.

If I lived outside the US I'd be really angry at the amount of bad debt (NINJA mortgages - you know, "no income, no job, no assets") that were shoveled out the door of major US investment banks to foreign investors. Why these investors gobbled this garbage up I'll never understand.

MIA

5. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

There is only one way to get rid of debt and that is pay it. Borrowing off peter to pay Paul does not work.
    Manipulation of numbers is what caused all this in the first place.

When you can't pay, and you have nothing to sell you are bankrupt, sorry --thats the word for it

Thing is no one has ever seen such a huge mess on this scale before.

Its mind boggling that it could have happened, and from the worlds police too.

6. WestVanHan

WestVanHan Not a Senior Member

Par you're wasting your time....he doesn't even know how options work.
    Well maybe he does now,after I beat it into him.

He won't answer specific questions,all he does is pull out the same rant blah blah blah.

Everyone knows how I called him out as a liar.

Thanks to all for the nice emails (17 at last count) telling me how much entertainment they got from my chase of M and how he's full of crap.

And one came up with a great name: Masaliar

The thing is,I know his little secret about his couple bars of gold he has stashed away....

7. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

8. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

Par, you are lucky.

Your animals don't get stolen or poisoned from time to time like they do here. You also don't have to spend large amounts of money to keep a constant flow of burglars out.

Your cars doesn't have chip marks on where they tried to break into them or damages when they do. Had any stolen this week ? You get to sleep most nights right through without alarms going off, your own or in the neighbourhood.

You have the right to defend yourself and your's, here you get throwed in a cell if you dare you f racist.

How many times have your house been cleaned out... ever been armed robbed, the risk of wife and kids getting ***** in the process. If you get shot you don't even make the local newspaper - if you slap an idiot sitting a dent in your car's bonnet you make national headlines.

And the pressure is rising here. You ask why we post on this - hopefully someone somewhere sees something and does something about it. Pressure from abroad is a wonderfull thing.

Currently the 2010 soccer thing has them calm things down a bit, they don't want it cancelled because you forreigners get scared to come here.

On a bigger scale, I hope the US flourish and the $ recovers. The west does need a backbone of sorts. If it isn't going to be the US, it defenately isn't going to be from africa.

On a really small minded scale, WestVanHan, get over yourself. For someone involved into the bigger scheme of things I didn't think you of all people would set youself back with these small nitty gritty things.

9. Wynand N

Wynand N Retired Steelboatbuilder

Fanie, you should know better with philamon and co.:confused:
    This is just the calm before the storm - a lot of foreigners are going to face the reality of SA when they do come here for that soccerbal thing. They are going to be robbed big time, some would most probably be murdered for their belongings as had already happened with that FIFA official on visit here - I think he survived four hours on SA soil.
    Some will have their women ***** and of course witnesses must be get rid off.
    If anyone plans to come here, do not wear Nikes, designer sunglasses or carry any cellphones - if you do, it is open season on you and many were killed for just one of these items.....

Some tourists will think Soweto is the hot spot of Africa and surely they will find out it is so and not in the way they be expected it to be.
    Many will try the "exotic" sex industry and in return get a present to take with them and destroy their loved ones. I read the other day that in KZ the official HIV positive figure is close on 50% amongst the black population - and that are only the ones visiting clinics - my guess is that the unofficial figures is much higher.

Thus, overall not to bad a 2009 year in SA and I think 2010 will be a stinker.

My predictions for 2010;

1. Mandela is off to Upington - IOW dies.
    2. The 2010 FIFA soccer is going to be a disaster due to all the reasons mentioned above.
    3. Zuma will pardoned his good buddy - what else can one expect from a corrupt president and government with and average IQ of 70
    4. USA will face some dire straits of the financial markets and perhaps face a resession in the making
    5. The Chinese will **** up big time in the near foreseeable feature with military maneuvers against the west round about end of 2011.
    6. World will end 21st December 2012 if we can depend on the Mayans and Nostradamus for accuracy.

May I wish everyone a blessed and prosperous 2010:cool:

1 person likes this.
  10. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

**** Wynand, I better get my butt in gear finishing the boat before then.
    Do we know to what extend the world is going to 'end'... maybe we can escape the fire in our little boats, come back afterwards and pick up some braaivleis (BBQ).

Siener van Rensburg predicted around 2015 things are going to come right here in SA. If he is right then we may have to visit other places to pick up the braaivleis (BBQ).

Dam (pun), now I'm hungry !

11. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Cant wait for this football thing, do you know what these football hooligans are like. Damn man, they are coming just to get to some.

12. Fanie

Fanie Fanie

They have these hooters they blow, un be lievably irritating. It's not when something happens that they blow it, it's all the time. Some shithead in the vicinity here got one of these things. Guess where I'm going to push it in when I find him ;)

But yeah I agree, it is going to be fun :D A lot of people here said they are going somewhere else until this is over.

13. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Poor alcoholic, ignorance, apathy is you in your favorit bar Frosty

14. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Frosty is very important since this morron is fdor eight years in the forum.
    Quite an achievement, the only one he did in his poor life

15. Frosty

Frosty Previous Member

Ds --you are becoming a pest.

A so called marine architect should behave better than this.

I suggest you calm down and think about your behavior.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.