PWC normal pump rpm

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by inventing_man, Jun 17, 2007.

1. inventing_man

inventing_man Junior Member

Greetings ,
    Does anyone know what the normal rpm range is on a PWC with direct drive ? When I say "normal" I'm speaking of the range of best performance. I also guess that "most" modern PWC's are infact direct drive ?
    Thanks!

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Depends on the PWC, and yes, they do tend to be direct drive. A PWC's engine will often run 5000-6000 rpm, if not more. Manufacturers will thus tune the pump to be at its best performance at the engine's best-power RPM (usually near its top end on these high-strung motors), and will set the impeller to absorb the engine output power at that speed without cavitating. So you end up with a very small impeller turning very fast. Check the max RPM and power rating on the engine a jet-ski pump was designed for, and that's probably the pump's optimal input.

3. inventing_man

inventing_man Junior Member

Thanks marshmat. So then its possable to have a pump tuned to be more low end torque than speed . Thats kinda what I'm looking for .
    Who does this sort of tuning? Solas ?

4. gcunagin

gcunagin Junior Member

Power absorbed by a water jet is very predictable. It works on a cube function. Basically, If you half the rpm's, horsepower absorption is reduced to 1/8th. I.E. a pump that absorbs(turns to thrust)100 hp@6000 will absorb 12.5 hp @ 3000 rpm's. That is why the 14' river jon boat I am building is using a large high pitch Yamaha pump only using 25HP@3600 rpm. I am hoping the pump won't mind a little sand and gravel so much at the lower rpm's.

This site has good basic design information.:

http://www.ultradynamics.com/sections/educational/design.asp

See:
    Waterjet Impeller Nomenclature (Impellers Demystified)

Have fun,

Gary C.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.