nmea 0183 output from gps help

Discussion in 'OnBoard Electronics & Controls' started by bigbear69, Jan 22, 2010.

1. bigbear69

bigbear69 Junior Member

Hi,
    just a question regarding nmea output strings from my gps unit.
    I have a jrc gps/sounder combo and I have connected a multi data repeater to it. this displays speed/ depth and temp. have sorted out the speed and temp all works fine but the temp doesn't display properly. my output string from the gps for temp is '$INMTW,+20.8,C*35

the repeater reads something completely different. I was just wondering if most temp output strings on other units have a '+' or '-' before the numerical temp value.
    the manufacturer of the repeater says this + is wrong and the repeater can't read it properly. Is this true or shall I return the repeater and but another brand.

Or is there anyway I can change the data string output so there is no '+' in the string.
    any help much appreciated.
    cheers

2. Tim B

Tim B Senior Member

This website http://www.maperl.com/Hydrography/ shows other $INMTW sentences without the '+'. It is possible that the GPS manufacturer's interpretation of the standard varied from other people's. However, no NMEA parser should struggle with a +/-, so it does seem that the manufacturer of the repeater is being rather unhelpful.

Alternatively, you can use openPilot to read your NMEA stream, then with a few additions to the code you can make it output a new NMEA string without the '+'. You can also use it to display your position (when I've finished re-writing the plotting!), provide track/heading, satellite details, time, speed, temperature, and pretty much anything else you can think of.

Cheers,

Tim B.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.