Marinizing 1994 Lincoln Intek 4.6L 32V V8

Discussion in 'DIY Marinizing' started by cahudson42, Nov 20, 2008.

1. cahudson42

cahudson42 Junior Member

I've an 'extra' 1994 Lincoln Mk VIII. It has only 70K on it, but the suspension is shot. At most, I'll get $1000 to $1,500 for it if I'm lucky. Wife is bugging me incessantly to get rid of it. But I keep looking at the motor.

It's an aluminum-block, aluminum head, 4-cam 32V 4.6L fuel-injected 288 HP engine. I believe it has one known weakness in auto use - the original cylindrical valve springs can fail at 100K or so. But they can easily be retrofitted before failure with the 1996 'beehive' springs which do not have this problem. A possible problem is the 4-cam chain-driven valve train - no problem with the chain I think (better than toothed belt for sure) but the cams run directly in the AL head, and really do not like being starved for oil. I've 2 other Mark VIIIs - both 1996, one with 120K another with 90K. They run great with 5W-30 Mobil 1.

Has anyone marinized one of these for use with an inboard or stern drive? Any opinions, suggestions, parts sources? Difficulty? Suitabiliy?

How might it compare in weight, durability and performance to a typical OHV Mercruiser iron-block V8? (5.7L?)

Any and all thoughts, opinions and recommendations greatly appreciated!

How about a larger sump and external oil cooler? They are both available aftermarket...

Any good references/books I should be looking at?

Chris

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  2. StianM

StianM Senior Member

My first thought is that this is what I wanted in my boat.
    It should be a engine with rather low consumption and a light weight.

The question you should ask yourself is why is nobody marinizing this ones and sell them? Anny weaknes?

3. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

marinizing a Lincoln V8

I finally found a source for wet exhaust manifolds if you need it. The rest of the marinization is easy and there lots of after market parts. stan

4. cahudson42

cahudson42 Junior Member

Thanks StianM & rasorinc,

So far I'm going to continue to stall wife on getting rid of it. Rasorinc, did you do one of these? Or have any URL's where the conversion is covered?

At least it looks like several have solved the ECU/EFI problem by using the open-source Megasquirt. One at:

http://www.msruns.com/viewtopic.php?f=85&t=22421&sid=0cababc73bb27d7528164dc9c2d60759

(If link NG, look under FORD at http://www.msruns.com).

What to put it is? Hmmm - a cheap old Ski Nautique with a blown engine?:)

Comments suggestions always appreciated!

5. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

6. CDK

CDK retired engineer

To marinize an engine for which there are no wet exhausts available, chose one with the same basic layout/size and make adapters for each port. Short pieces of steel pipe with appropriate flanges welded on both sides will do the trick.

7. cahudson42

cahudson42 Junior Member

The book rasorinc mentions above is 'Inboard Motor Installations' - and it is loaded with marinizing info - including a complete step-by-step pictorial. By Glen Witt and Ken Hankinson. Available from Glen-L, but also sometimes used from abebooks. But make sure its the 'current' 1978 edition - ISBN 0-939070-01-4.

I found this book complements Dave Gerr's 'The Nature of Boats' ISBN 0-07-024233-X

Both are great reads, with Gerr's being almost an encyclopedia and Witts a step-by-step HOWTO.

Thanks rasorinc for the tip!

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.