Ninigret Flare

Discussion in 'Powerboats' started by axeman, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Axe,
    I'm going to guess the Diablo would more efficient because it has a narrower bottom and less weight. I think the Grande could easily beat the Ninigret w the stern extended 2'. It's all perfectly straight aft so should be a piece of cake to do on the Gardner. Semi-Dory OA beam is 5' 10" and bottom width is 4'5". Gardner says about the 16' version of the 19' Semi-Dory "No doubt the boat would take a 25hp motor, all right; but for many fishermen, 15hp would be more normal. Even with 10hp the boat should not do too badly". Both the 16' and 19'8" Semi-Dory have an inboard motor well like the Ninigret but of open design. I personally like my outboards on the transom. I just looked over the Ninigret and see it is a much larger boat. Both the SD and the DG would need to be made larger to be directly comparable to the Ninigret but as is they would be considerably more efficient (mostly because they are smaller and lighter. But if made the same size they should be much the same. Surprisingly (to me) I think the DG would be most seaworthy. I prefer the other two though.

2. axeman

axeman Junior Member

Easy Rider Being an expert on the Atkin designs, What is your take on the Slipby?
    [​IMG]
    It has a fair bit of dead rise and should do quite well with my 20 hp. "The little boat should do up to 15 miles an hour with a motor of 10 to 15 h.p. providing the weight is within reason, say about 325 pounds with its equipment". Acording to Atkin very sea worthy, "I must point out that Slipby, as her name suggests, is designed to go through the water easily, rather than over it. Consequently she will be especially comfortable in rough water and a very good sea boat in the bargain.
    I would want to build in Plywood. I would also have to either hang my out board (110lbs) on the transom or install a well.
    The one thing I don't care for is the incredibly boring sheer! The only thing worse in my view is reverse sheer.

3. michael pierzga

michael pierzga Senior Member

I agree...the sheer , stem and bow profile are uninspiring.

This little panga has an attractive sheer.

http://www.bateau.com/studyplans/PG20.PDF

4. axeman

axeman Junior Member

The Bateau Panga 20 is an atractive boat but the power requirements see to be out of my 20hp range..........

5. michael pierzga

A Few other low power designs worth considering. The famous Designer Uffa Fox's personal skiff was " ankle deep " Google up the plans

Attached Files:

6. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Axeman,
    Bingo! With a little ballast if you can keep the water out you should be able to go almost anywhere in Slipby. Just seems absolutely perfect for you. And I see that Slipby is basically a stretched Tang. Take a look. This boat is only 5' wide so not terribly roomy but if you can live w that I think you've found the boat to build. I'd build her in 100% wood but you may need some epoxy/glass for beaching considering your plans. Have you ordered the building plans? That reminds me I need to get Tang's plans.

7. michael pierzga

Jamaican Canoes and Labrador Skiffs are both attractive seaworthy designs for low power

Attached Files:

8. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

Michael,
    Canoes are great. Have you seen http://www.boatdesign.net/forums/boat-design/20-foot-freighter-canoe-33663.html ? Timothy M is advertising in Wooden Boat now. I wonder how the big canoes would compare to Slip-by for seaworthyness. Since they have a straight run aft they should be faster but probably not as efficient at slower speeds unless the transom was quite narrow like my freight canoe. Just say'in. Pic is of my freighter.

Attached Files:

9. michael pierzga

That 20 footer would make a fantastic low power motorboat. Very simple to build, very easy to push thru the water. Those Labrador skiffs are cousins of the freight canoe.

10. axeman

axeman Junior Member

I like the look of the Labrador skiffs, I don't see any plans or real info on the net. So don't do me much good unless I'd like to go out to Labrador. I think the snows going to start falling soon there.........Think I'll stay here.

11. axeman

axeman Junior Member

How about a Samali pirate skiff perhaps I could make a little money on the side[​IMG]

12. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Slipby is a semi displacement craft and will nose up and max out her "troth" at around 13 knots. The boat is sea worthy because it can run in control and comfortably in displacement mode. If you've never purchased Atkins plans previously, you'll be a bit disappointed.

13. axeman

axeman Junior Member

Thanks everyone for the input. As long as I have the Lines and Offsets I'll be fine. I am finding it a bit difficult to make a decision as I expect it will be the last boat I build and I would like it to be the best boat for my purposes that I can build.

14. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Axeman, you are looking for a hull form similar the Slipby, just a different chine profile. The aft up sweep of the chine on Slipby makes for nice, "easy" waterlines, which will do well at displacement speeds. Because she's trim and not too immersed aft, she will not make much of a hole and her wake will be relatively low. Once pressed past S/L 1.3, she'll settle a bit and the stern wave will get much bigger, as will the hole she's dragging, which limits her speed potential to under a 3 S/L ratio. I estimate 13 knots will be her maxed out speed, which is 2.9 S/L.

If Silpby's chine was not permitted to rise back up after station 8 and the keel profile followed a similar path, she'd carry more bearing aft, likely rotate in a more bow down trim (at rest) and then she'd have a better chance of reaching full plane mode. Naturally, the cost of this is lose of her low speed efficiency and increased power requirements to get to the same speeds.

In all honesty, I think a 22' or 26' Bartender would be a good choice for you. It has both low and high speed potential and efficiency. It's a good looking, seaworthy design that will not be confused with any other craft. If the boat was converted to taped seam, you'd save some weight, assembly time and materials too, further improving efficency underway.

15. Easy Rider

Easy Rider Senior Member

PAR the man says he wants 20hp, 22' and 12 knots. No Bartender that I've ever seen is going to get out of it's own way w 20hp. Not even a tad bit close. Ninigret is actually a bit too big for 20hp. I'd want 25 or 30hp for Ninigret but Slipby will actually move along at 12 knots and probably close to half throttle. And I'll bet a Bartender will feel more like a greased plate than a proper boat compared to these Atkin designs. I can't believe your'e last post. Why is a Bartender efficient? Only thing I can see is that they are a nice light plywood boat. Nothing else at all. They are good looking though. The only other craft on this thread big enough and efficient enough for Axe is the big freight canoe. I don't know how a canoe will handle the nasty though I've had mine in some kinda sloppy stuff but not sloppy enough to brand it ultra seaworthy. Twenty hp means 12 to 15 continuous hp and long and light and skinny is the only workable formula.
    Easy

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.