Nils Lucander Designs

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Lucander, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Lucander

Lucander New Member

Nils Lucander, boat designer, formerly of Tacoma Washington, was my father. His designs as well as his research documents and literature have been in storage since his passing in 1998. Anyone interested, please contact me.
    Thanks.

2 people like this.
  2. mmd

mmd Senior Member

I studied several of your father's designs when I was in college studying naval architecture. I liked his workmanlike style of designs.

3. ron rope

ron rope New Member

I had the privilige of talking with your father not too long before his death. What a great mind! I'm a lifelong Tacoma resident, so when I saw an article he wrote with his phone number I just called him up and we talked for about an hour. A few days later I received a big envelope with specs and photo copies of two different boats he had designed that were now for sale. He just wanted to help the owners get them sold. If there is a way to view more of his design work and ideas I'd be thrilled. I hope you can get enough collected to get it published. (I loved how he kept refering to himself as a "heretic".) "Heretic"=genius in my book. I'd be glad to pay for copies of things that might be approprite to send.

Ron Lunceford

4. Cliff Center

Cliff Center New Member

Tug boat

I am purchasing 41 foot tug designed by Nils, Built at Cooks Marine in Tacoma in 1986, Where can I find plans or information on this vessel?

5. Lucander

Lucander New Member

Lucander Designs

Write me at lucander@bellsouth.net. Send whatever info you have on the boat. I will see what plans there are.

Nils Lucander :cool:

6. brian eiland

brian eiland Senior Member

The Pump Effect

Hello Nils,
    I posted your fathers article on "Eyeing The Pump Effect" as related to our twin keel discussions

7. tranmkp

tranmkp "wherever you go. there you are"

Lucander Designs

You should set up some kind of online archive. Something. Your dad was a very "out of the box" thinker. His ideas should be available to all. It would be a waste not to share his ideas.

8. owner

Hello
    I'm currently building a 112' steel expedition trawler in Bayou La Batre Alabama. During the years of research prior to beginning the project, I ran across one of your father's articles on skeg and rudder design. I concurred with his thinking and designed the boat with twin skegs. Having failed to get in touch with him in 2003, I moved forward with his skeg concept on my own utilizing what information I had. I just found this website and am now hopeful I might get some additional info on his rudder design. We begin to build rudders next week and I would love to see how his delta plate is fixed atop the rudder. Can you help?
    Johnny Dudley
    904 254-9224

9. CLuv

CLuv New Member

Mr. Lucander

We have sent an email regarding a Pan Oceanic sailboat designed (we think) by Nils Lucander. Its a 1980 41' ketch, center cockpit. the boat was mae by the Mao Ta lumber company. ANy info you may have would be greatly appreciated. Thank You.
    you can reply to www.skydive81@hotmail.com or
    www.lassiterchris@hotmail.com

10. SAQuestor

SAQuestor Senior Member

Someone mentioned that you should set up an on-line presence to perpetuate your father's designs. Please take a look at http://www.atkinboatplans.com/ for a site that you might wish to emulate.

Here on boatdesign.net we often see (and read) about new ideas that contemporary designers (or wannabe designers) come up with. But it's my opinion that there is little actually new and that the best designs of the last century should be available to the public so that they might be perpetuated.

Besides, if you were to choose to price the plans reasonably like on the Atkin site, you might find it a way to bring in a few bucks that could help the household budget...

Best,

Leo

11. yves-s

yves-s New Member

Hi M. Lucander,
    I became aware of your fathers designs in recent months (and am sorry to read that he has passed away - my condolences.), and would love to find out more abt them. I'm particularly interested in 20-40ft sailboat designs (I saw Seagoing29 in Dave Gerr's backyard builder book). How can I learn more? I can be reached here or at yves-s@care2.com. Thanks very much. yves

12. another part

another part New Member

Hi All,

Has Mr Lucander gotten back to anyone?
    I had A E mail adress but it is no good.
    My Company built the last design by Nils.
    Have in n the past talked with His son Just after Nils passed.
    Need to get in touch with him.
    If you can help Anotherpart6@aol.com

13. michael arbitman

michael arbitman New Member

Hello: I purchased a set of plans for building a Barge Yacht designed by your father for steel or aluminum construction in 1984. The boat was designed for a couple on the west coast and the design was shown in Boatbuilder magazine. I never had the boat built, but in retirement now, I would like to look into the possibility. Do you know if any boats were actually completed to this design, as I would like to contact owners to see how the design performed. Any information would be appreciated. I am much impressed by you father's designs. Thanks, Michael Arbitman, arbitman@cfl.rr.com

14. Lucander

Lucander New Member

If you have questions about my father's work, please email me at lucanderdesign@bellsouth.net. I apologize for the long absence here.

Nils Eric Lucander, Davidson, North Carolina

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.