Nidacore...is it cost effective for interior fit out ?

Discussion in 'Materials' started by boat fan, Sep 28, 2009.

1. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Hello .
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience with Nidacore ?

Is it competitive in cost to plywood / epoxy glass laminate for interior
    fit out , cabinets , doors , (maybe not bulkheads).

Also , what is the best way to get a tough paint like finish ( plain white ) with Nidacore ?

2. Herman

Herman Senior Member

Nidacore is just what it is: Core. It needs skins. Skin finish is dependant on the skin used, of course.

My experience with Nida is that the shear modulus (stiffness) is somewhat low, and density is somewhat high. Price is OK, though.

Still for any next project I would use low density foam (60 kg/m3)

3. mikereed100

mikereed100 Junior Member

4. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Wow !!!! :confused:

5. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

They do pre glassed sheets as well.

When you compare the prices to what the greatest of satans (ATL) sell duflex or other product for, you are well in front.

Not sure if you are in front compared to 6mm okhume ply with cedar /kiri supports, but I am interested enough that I am doing the numbers now.

6. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Yes I would be really interested in that too.

Particularly with the glassed finish panels compared to plywood / epoxy coated .

I have always suspected " evil doings " with the price markup of ......

:D DUFLEX :D ...OUTRAGEOUS !!!!

Attached Files:

7. apex1

apex1 Guest

A 1-3mm veneer on Kiri core will outperform the plastic crap in almost every sensible application, and add substantially to the whole structures strength. For just a very, very small weight penalty.

8. Alik

Alik Senior Member

2apex1: consider HexaCor also, similar prodct, reasonable price... Can be glued with plywood or other surface finish with vaccum.

I can never undersrand why 1m2 of Dyvinicell foam or Duflex cost like a computer :)

9. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Now THAT does sound sensible !!!!

Can you buy it , or need to do yourself apex ?

What about glass laminate instead of veneer ? ( I like plain old white (2 pack maybe?) paint finish )

No , neither can I ....Sabbah has it right I think ...EVIL :D

10. apex1

apex1 Guest

Need to veneer it yourself. But of course you do´nt need to veneer a good wood like Kiri. When the application is just cabinetry leave it as it is. It has a warm, bright Honey like tone when varnished. Or paint it when you like. Of course you can apply a layer of glass, but apart from abrasion resistance for what would you need that? The advantage of using such a light wood instead of foam core: you do´nt need all the hell of a lot of work to reinforce the million edges, hinges, holes etc.

Alik
    I completely agree on Hexacore!

Richard

11. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

Definitely more expensive than raw material (6mm Oakume/gaboon resin soaked ply) but the ease of just picking up a pre glassed sheet?

Could possibly be worth it in some areas, maybe.

Nah, I think I just talked myself out of it again. Stick with ply me thinks, plus I have 20 sheets already waiting to go in.

12. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

Richard , I really don`t like the appearance of any kind of " wood " finish on any interior surfaces .Some light colored solid trim is ok.

I`m really tired of looking at " wood " inside a boat. Especially the darker woods and ESPECIALLY TEAK...that look has had it`s day and then some !
    Dark wooden interiors often make a boat look like a cave to my eye. Does anyone feel the same ?

I was thinking of a hard durable surface when I mentioned glass laminate Richard. Kiri is quite soft . It can gouge and scratch easily. But I do like the stuff ...it`s so light. It`s easy on cutting tools as well.
    I guess you could just epoxy coat it with resin , then paint.

I know that there are many people that would not agree with the wood thing ... , but its just my taste.

13. apex1

apex1 Guest

Right, that is the way you could do it! The wood is indeed a very soft one and will dent even when you lay some epoxy on it. Give it a cover of fine cloth 60gsm or so, that will do the trick and it looks outstanding good when you do NOT fill the weaves ? (right word?) with too much resin, so there is just a touch of cloth like surface when you have painted it. And what should be wrong with plain white paint? When there are some wooden applications that looks quite good! And in warmer climates a white room "feels" cooler than a plushy dark mahogany salon.

But back to the foam core as alternative. When you imagine you must lay a small strip of wood in all four edges of a door, or cabinet wall and the like. You must reinforce every hinge (wood again), and so on.
    No, better sheath Kiri with glass (much more than 60gsm when it has to become structural) and forget about the foam ****.

You are in the right corner of the world for Kiri (though it is rather expensive there), so take the advantages! Compared with core foam of the worst quality it still costs nearly nothing. And there are no doubts about bonding, shear strength, delamination, water ingress and so on.....

Regards
    Richard

14. sabahcat

sabahcat Senior Member

15. boat fan

boat fan Senior Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Yes ...too much work and too much money.
    Yes ......we do have a lot of plantation grown Kiri here. Western Australia especially.It does make a lot of sense Richard.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.