Small flats scooter bunch of ?????

Discussion in 'Materials' started by Chingadera, Aug 5, 2008.

1. Chingadera

Chingadera Junior Member

Hi everyone,

I have been wanting to build a small flats skooter with a tunel at home for some time now. I was just wondering what would be the materials I could use to make the boat light yet very strong and easy enough to work with to were I could build it at home. I want to be fiber glass or similar. The length would need to be in the 12-14' range. I will be powering it with a 25hp outboard. What is available? Also would I need to build a thin board hull and then glass over it or am I going about this all wrong. any help is great!

2. duluthboats

duluthboats Senior Dreamer

3. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Chingadera,

Do you have a price range in mind? Do you have expericence with fiberglass or as a carpenter? There are quite a few ways you could go about it depending on the answer to those questions.

4. Chingadera

Chingadera Junior Member

I dont have any fiberglass experiance. I do have body work experience with stuff like bondo ect. Also I can do carpentry. I am kinda stumped at this point as I found Flatsmaster.com a small boat builder in houston Tx that builds the exact boat I want for $1800.00 with console and steering included. Its a 10ft. tunnel hull. I think it may be cheaper and easyer for me to just buy this boat new than attempt to build one. I'll try and post some pics after work to give you an idea what I was wanting to build.

5. Chingadera

Chingadera Junior Member

http://www.flatsmasterboats.com/

Heres the link I couldn't copy the pictures. I am wanting the 10.5 model and he said he would extend the rear transom on each side to help with flotation as well as shallow draft. I have seen this boat in action and it will run in spit. I am really thinking about just purchasing this boat. I can see me struggling through this project.

6. Nomad

Nomad Senior Member

Chingadera,

If you factor in your time you will not save money on the project, might cost more.

If you buy the flats master you know what you are getting and how it will perform.

Do you think this is a project you would enjoy doing?

Would you rather be fishing or building a boat?

Would the pride of fishing out of the boat you built hold much value to you?

If you built it would you cange anything from how the boat is currently configured? If so then you are getting exactly what you want not almost what you want.

It's not for everyone so be sure that you are into it 100% before you start or you will regret it.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.