Nida Core or Plascell Question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Rich M, May 28, 2012.

1. Rich M

Rich M Junior Member

Are these products (Polypropylene) really brittle in the cold?

Say a small 10 ft boat, subzero temps - hits a rock. Does the internal core shatter or flex?

Seems like a serious limitation in cold environments - if true.

Thanks.

2. Jetboy

Jetboy Senior Member

Interesting question. It would seem to me that the lower limit on temp should be 32* F or 0* C. Any colder and you're not likely to do much boating... Even if air temps are colder, it's unlikely that the core below the water line will be lower than the water temp.

I have a bit. I can throw some in a freezer and hit it with a hammer to see how it does. I suspect there will be no meaningful difference in strength. If I were going to be boating in very cold weather, I'd probably want something extremely durable though because if you do go in the water due to a sinking boat, you're in trouble.