Next build proposal: your comments please.

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Wisgibson, Sep 12, 2013.

1. Wisgibson

Wisgibson Junior Member

Greetings! Thanks for your time again. I scrapped my first ply-on-frame build after completing the frame and recognizing the many errors made. I really want a skiff (not S&G). So please comment on this plan (http://www.spirainternational.com/study/ChamplainStudy.pdf). I would use it cartopped and on the nearby Fox River (light current) for my son (6) & I to fish out of & row. I don't know any boat builders, so this is where I need to get some knowledge & experience looking over my shoulder. Thanks again.

2. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Looks like quite a nice little boat.

Skiffs are a useful boat to have.

Attached Files:

• 020.jpg
      020.jpg
      File size:
      43 KB
      Views:
  3. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

It's got similarities in construction to the other boat so learning experiences should transfer easily. It might be a nuisance to car top it, that leads to being a bother to use which leads to non use, so at least think about a trailer.

In the other plans there were odd ways of giving measurements, etc, that could easily lead to errors so be aware that it will probably be the same on this set.

4. messabout

messabout Senior Member

The Spira boat in your link will make a satisfactory little skiff but not a great one. It is ugly to me because it carries its width too far aft. It may be designed that way to compensate for a motor clamped to the transom. Or maybe the designer was not quite a thoroughly experienced draftsman.

Look at the pretty little skiff in RWatsons picture. That is a classic one. The Spira has more slope in the stem than needed, Watsons boat has almost no slope and has a longer waterline as a result. (longer waterline is better on several counts)

Do build a small boat. Look around a bit before you decide which one to tackle. There are literally hundreds of designs out there, many of which will make a more handy little boat than the one you have referenced.

Plundering my bookshelf, I found an old, very old, book by Rudder Publishing Company. It's price on the cover was One dollar fifty cents. (yes, pretty old book) There is a sweetheart little eleven footer in the book, by William Crosby, with all the building details. Crosby boats are time tested and always reliable. The little boat is listed under the name; Tadpole. See if you can dredge that one up for starters.

5. Wisgibson

Wisgibson Junior Member

I was thinking along those lines.

I have been spending lots of time surfing ideas. The plan I posted I've now moved away from. It seems that ply on frames is one of the heaviest ways to build a small boat and that's bad for me. I'm heading to a glued lapstrake construction. That method seems to have everything going for it: weight, strength, and looks. I'm out looking for instructional books now. I'll look for that recommendation.

6. JSL

JSL Senior Member

Probably a good decision. As 'messabout' mentioned, this skiff looked quite fine in the bow and could be prone to 'stuffing'... not a good exercise for anybody.

7. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Spira has a 'how to build' on Youtube

8. MoePorter

MoePorter Junior Member

I agree with your thinking - Here's a good book on the subject http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Boatbuilding-Thomas-Hill/dp/0071567038

Keep in mind any good book on lapstrake construction will be useful but Hill's book has lots of photos & tips specific to glued lapstrake. Moe

9. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

http://www.dngoodchild.com/divide_for_small_craft.htm

[​IMG]

10. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

My Digger 17 can be built ply over frames if desired and is intentionally stout. Check my blog or WoodenBoat and contact me by email if interested.

11. pauloman

pauloman Epoxy Vendor

at least for me, the building of a small boat, and other crafty projects/hobbies is always the best part. I build them but never seem to use them!

paul