1. kylakefreak

kylakefreak New Member

I just purchased a 42' 1969 Owens Aruba (double mahogany wooden hull). After i bought her I had her surveyed. She's got some rot in the interior hull and she appears to be leaking. I decided to have her pulled 2 weeks ago at a local marina. I went there yesterday and found out that they have not started on her and most likely won't until another 6 weeks. It appears that their "wood guy" bailed on them and he is now looking for another. Anyway, the owner of the marina has suggested that I show up next Friday, bring some tools he suggested, and he is going to show me how to get started on the boat myself. He says there is a lot I can do which will save me money in the long run. If this is the case, which I don't mind at all, I'm thinking that a good reference book would be in order. Something that will explain much about wooden boat repair. Does anyone have any good titles, perhaps some 'must read/standards of the industry' that I should be reading. I'm new at this but am looking at this from a life long perspective. I'm 45 years old and this is the boat I'm going to retire on. I want to take care of her and give her the best attention possible. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for any information you can give or direction you can point me.

jebyjed

2. skiffman

skiffman skiffman

The words "after I bought her I had her surveyed" are what scares me.

You might luck out on this project & I dont in any way want to disalution you by my remarks but I think you understand that this boat will probably represent a lot of time (and money) spent by you in the future to get her to where you want to retire on her. It's great that you are looking ahead & wanting suggestions on reading materials that might help you tackle the job. Find the source of the leaks first & then have her hauled to the hard so you can more thoroughly examine the hull & bottom for damage. Other folks on here will have good advice for you and you can use your search button for great info on wooden boat restoration. Good luck with your project.

3. Bergalia

Bergalia Senior Member

It's pertinent to ask - did the yard's 'wood guy' bail out before, or after he saw your boat hauled ashore :rolleyes:
    Skiffman's right - you could be in for a long and expensive repair. But take heart from the rebirth of 'Spray.'
    Less dramatically I have rebuild a couple of craft, a 35 and 40 footer from ribs up, using only the basic of carpenter's tools. It took a couple of years apiece - no rush - a piece at a time - but the work was more satisfying than words can describe. And what a situation for dreams. I did more voyaging sitting their surrounded by shavings and glue than I ever did in the completed craft.
    Scan the web for books - even 'household' joiner books. Visit your local library - have a word with your local carpenter, and you'll find that nothing is as insurmountable as it seems. And when it's done - You'll be the one who did it... :)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.