DIY Drones

Discussion in 'All Things Boats & Boating' started by Charly, Oct 29, 2012.

1. Charly

Charly Senior Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

====================
    Thanks-thats a great site!

3. BPL

BPL Senior Member

Yes thanks!
    Intrigued by the ArduCopter, questioning avoidance safety in robot-mode. Programming could take over whenever a ArduCopter exceeds control range.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Rotron

I was involved in a video piloted helicopter project in 1984-87. The Company I founded was Rotron and at that time according to the owners of Miniature Aircraft(Schulter helis and then X-cell) no one had flown an RC heli using just a video camera and video transmitter. So as far as I know we were the first and patented our system. It was a lot of fun but we couldn't get the financing to take the next step but it was quite an experience.

Pictures,L to R: 1 -a twin side by side copter I designed and built from Schulter components, 2 & 3- our basic single rotor video piloted heli.#2 shows the co-ax we used while I was learning to fly so that we wouldn't destroy the $20,000 video transmiter(same thing now costs about $500!). 4&5 show our custom van-it had a landing pad that rolled out the back end and lifted up to roof height. The pilot sat inside watching a TV screen. It was immense fun flying this way and much easier than normal "rc" flying.

Attached Files:

5. Leo Lazauskas

Leo Lazauskas Senior Member

Nice work, Doug!
    I'm a bit shocked that you didn't add foils to the under-carriage. ;)

6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

--------------
    Thanks ,Leo! I got my foil fix from the ones rotating overhead.......

7. goodwilltoall

goodwilltoall Senior Member

Survivalblog has a recent article for building a $1,000 drone minus the laptop. They are going down in price just like everything else that isnt a monopoly/syndicate or regulated.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.