Newbie with a new boat!

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Mezaire, Jul 1, 2009.

1. Mezaire

Mezaire Junior Member

Hey all,

Been lurking around here from time to time, some great info and reading. Would of jumped in and said something earlier but there are many more wise heads around here than mine!!

Anyway, I have just become the proud owner of a little 22ft yacht called Upstart. She was designed by Steve Ward who built Australia II, and he supervised the owner builder in 1979. She was designed to win a regatta here called the little wheel, which she did so easily that the regatta was changed to be a OneDesign regatta!!!

She is coldmoulded with two layers of oregan and internal stringers and as you can see she has quite alot of freeboard, giving about 4'6" of headroom at the current mast base position when standing on the keelson. The hull is in great condition but the deck is terrible so will come off.

My question for you all is this, what sort of cabin, if any should I put on?

3 options;
    1. A full curved deck, similar to a J24 but about 400mm higher that the sheer line at the comapionway. This is my preferred option for a few reasons, it is easy to build and strong with laminated full width beams. I also have a slight leg disability so don't like small side decks on small yachts so I already prefer going 'up and over' the cabin to get to the bow. My concerns with this is that will use ply to build the cabin top so I may have fun trying to get the curve. Was going to use 3 layers of 3mm, cut into strips or small rectangles.

2. The standard cabin shape with or without windows. This is probably the most asthetically pleasing but not as strong as option one and leaves me with small side decks that I don't really like.

3. A flush deck. Simple and strong but my GF is making noises about wanting to weekend on this thing so it will have a double v-berth, portaloo and some sort of basic galley, so another foot or so of head room wouldn't hurt..

I will also be racing the boat alot and as the stories are that she was lightening quick in her day, I would like her to live up to some part of those stories!!

Anyway, here are the pics.

Oh and by the way, the boat was really cheap (under $2000 Aus) and came with a brand new pro built rudder, new carbon #1, new code zero/screecher on a furler, a decent main and two huge buckets of deck gear.

Cheers in advance

Mez

Attached Files:

2. BWD

BWD Senior Member

unless you are always heeling better than 10 deg, making a deck bulge more than the j24 may be uncomfortable for walking about, IMHO.
    I would hesitate if you plan coastal cruising.
    Might be better off with a house, or a more profiled bulge that would level the side decks a bit for walking.
    I would consider stripping a profiled bulge as you could use fewer forms and not worry about making the bends, but cold molding would match the hull and be good, if you are up for it. But if you think it would be ugly, you might rather look at a moderate cambered deck with a small house.
    Best luck, whatever you do, hope it is ready for next summer!

Attached Files:

3. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Good to see an old boat being resurrected.

I think your idea of 400mm deck camber is probably twice the height of a J24, and I'll bet the beam is less, so more rise over a shorter distance might look a bit strange.

You could do a narrow/low cabin house that would result in wider side decks and still have an area for some headroom in the middle of the boat. Think something like an old half tonner.

Don't go flat flush deck. My boat is like this and the interior is only useful for storage. If you go this route you won't be getting much in the way of dual purpose.

4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

This might be an idea to maximise interior room:

Attached Files:

• 007.JPG
      007.JPG
      File size:
      194.8 KB
      Views:
  5. Paul B

Paul B Previous Member

Ugly, and difficult to get from cockpit to bow and back, especially in any lump.

6. Mezaire

Mezaire Junior Member

Hey all,

Thanks for all your replies, especially BWD, those drawings were great!!

Have decided to go with a regular coach house, mainly because of asthetics and because a mate has a Young 6m with a nice looking cabin that he has given me the plans for as he built the boat

This is his boat

http://www.boatsonline.com.au/boats-for-sale/used/trailer-boats.php?de=22794

The cabin top is flat enough that it can be done without cold moulding. Might make it wider and longer but atleast I have the basic design for the shape of the cabin sides.

By the way, pick the boat up tomorrow!!!

Mez

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.