need help

Discussion in 'Boatbuilding' started by mkpardy, Feb 19, 2007.

1. mkpardy

mkpardy Junior Member

:confused: hi guys it is my intent to build the console skiff with raised bulwarks
    i'm going to build it to plan specs.now my question is does anyone see a
    problem with me using it as a dive boat. i will be in and out over the sides
    and my weights and tanks and gear will be,(dropped from time to time)
    on the floor.anyone see any damage to the boat being done?
    if so what would you suggest?
    as for the tanks and weights falling on the floor that will happen so my being careful is not the problem, will the boat stand up to this type of use
    any input is greatly appreciated thanks Kevin

2. timgoz

timgoz Senior Member

Include the link to the boat in your new post. There is alot of forum traffic & people may not know what boat you are speaking of.

Build the floor in the impact area well & don't ape out on it and you should be OK. An extra layer of heavy glass cloth & epoxy, plus maybe the next size up in ply thickness, might be in order.

The gunwale holding up is a matter of your weight & agility. If you can get a leg over and transfer your weight over a larger area it would be less stressful than a double hand pushup & over. Once again, some extra strengthening may be in order.

If you can, consult with the designer.

Welcome to the forum. I've been across Nova Scotia on several occassions on my way to Nfld. & Labrador. Cape Breton was especially nice.

Take care.

TGoz

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.