Leaking centerboard trunk

Discussion in 'Sailboats' started by Moby Dick, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Moby Dick

Moby Dick New Member

Have a 18ft Herreshoff America Catboat. Minor leak last 2 years at leading front edge of centerboard trunk on bottom of boat! Launched today and is leaking way more than last year. Believe ice damage may have expanded cracks. Any ideas and procedure on how to approach this problem? May have to cut out the pan sole area just ahead of trunk in cabin for better access? Problem now also is to get work done the drying out process may take time. any help much appreciated!!! Moby Dick Cape Cod Ma. Possible to reglass entire trunk?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2013
  2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Why would the drying process take time? What material is between the inner liner and the hull? Foam? If it's only empty space, drying out would only require a small hole to drain the water.
    More details please!

3. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Welcome to the forum.

Likely the case logs have spit out their bedding, fasteners have become lose, maybe some rot and/or all of the above. The only good approach is to remove the through bolts, on the case logs and snatch the case up and out of the boat. The holes will likely need to be restored, the fasteners renewed, the faying surfaces inspected and possibly repaired, then the whole shooting match put back together, with good bedding and new fasteners.

It wouldn't be wise to employ the goo in a can approach, as you'll just have to pay for the resulting issues, a little later down the road, which inevitably will make the current issues much worse, if it doesn't create new ones too.

Can you post pictures?

4. Ike

Ike Senior Member

I agree with PAR. Years ago I had a 17 ft Thistle and the CB trunk leaked like a faucet with no gasket. I tried all the quick fixes. Finally I took the whole thing out and rebuilt it. It's really the only right way to fix a leaky trunk.

5. alan white

alan white Senior Member

It's not necessarily a wooden version. My guess is it's a glass hull because the poster didn't mention what type of hull and that usually means he assumed it would be expected to be glass boat. Also he said "reglass" meaning it must already be glass.
    But then again, it's a confusing post. I guess if he ever comes back he might give some more clues.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

In either case ('glass or wood), the best approach is to find the leak, remove the offending piece(s), restore the fastener holes, re-bed and refasten.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.