Flooring options on a restoration

Discussion in 'Materials' started by diyjill, Mar 27, 2015.

1. diyjill

diyjill New Member

Forgive me in advance if I am posting incorrectly here. I have had little success finding the information I need on other online forums .
    I am doing a complete restoration on a 1969 Leeisure Craft houseboat. She is 38' long with an 11' beam. I do realize that houseboat is a bad word for some , and that's ok. That being said:
    She has a complete new steel hull. She is in a fresh water lake . I am beginning the work of installing the subfloor and flooring . I want to find out what my options are . Would my best bet be to lay pressure treated deck boards evenly spaced , then 5/8" to 3/4" marine grade ply , a layer of tar paper then a floating wood floor ? Of course there would be access to the hull in areas for the bilge pumps and visual inspection .
    I had thought that prehaps just laying the pressure treated deck boards would be an option , covering those with 100% Polypropylene rug material allowing the bilge area to " breathe ". Recently I had found information that leads me to believe that the above would make matters worse , producing more condinsate instead of less .
    Since I've bent your ear , let me ask you this as well. In rebuilding the walls , would it be best to use only pressure treated lumber and marine grade ply for the structural members ? Is there a problem with "off gassing " of the poisons used in the woods ? Any info would be greatly appreciated.

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Pressure treated wood only contains borates. They shouldn't outgass anything harmful. What is the spacing of the deck beams? If they are 16-24" on center, there is no need for deck boards under the plywood for 5/8' thickness.

3. diyjill

diyjill New Member

Thank you for your reply , indeed the distance between them are 16" on center. I was not aware of the fact that pressure treated lumber contained only borates , I can get busy !

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

The arsenic compounds are not sold for home use any more. They are only available for some industrial uses. I checked and found that they are using copper/boric acid. At 16" on center, you can build the deck like on any house. Good luck

5. diyjill

diyjill New Member

Funny , it seems the harder I work , the luckier I am !

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.