Full size plans

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Kaptin-Jer, May 11, 2010.

1. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Does any one know of a taditional small sailboat plan other than the Haven 12 1/2. That does not require lofting?

2. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Of many hundreds of small sailboat plans out there, the Haven -12 1/2 is an expensive little yacht that can take years to build. Is the 12 1/2 the type of boat you want to build, or something lighter/cheaper/easier?

3. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Alan
    Yes, a Herrishoff / Alden type vintage boat is what I am looking to build. I have lofted in the past, but I cheat and use the computor then plot full size, but it never fails, something is always off and fairing is a nightmare. I just finished restoring a 38' Benny, but health, money and a nagging wife have restricted me to whatever I can build in my garage. "Your not giving that marina one more dime". I like the Haven, but I was looking for a choice.

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

5. uncleralph

uncleralph Junior Member

6. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Both boats are nice. But if I'm going to spend 2+ years sweating in my garage it will have to be for something worth the time and money. I once built a Roberts 27' plywood walk around. I did not feel that I was building a real boat the right way. So far the best (traditional) boat I have found is the Haven. I can't convince my wife that a boat like a racing T boat would be fun. She says it's to much work to sail. --guess we all gettin old.

7. alan white

alan white Senior Member

8. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Gartside has some nice boats, but both sites say that lofting is required. If they would give out the CAD file I could plot the lines full size, but I know just enough not to attempt lofting the old fashion way. Been there done that-- it wasn't pretty.

9. alan white

alan white Senior Member

Maybe if you can't find the right boat with full size patterns, someone could loft it for you. A small hull wouldn't be too expensive and you could get your own patterns from the loft floor.

10. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

That's not a bad idea. That opens up a lot of choices. Are you aware of any design similar to a Dragon, scaled down from 30' to @ 20'? I always wanted a Dragon....

11. alan white

alan white Senior Member

12. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

Yes
    The Dark Harbor is a great boat. But a really tough build with a difficult fixed keel, and not too much more than offsets to use. I have always liked that design, but I'm a little intimidated by it, also.

13. alan white

alan white Senior Member

You won't get into anything under 20 ft with that look. You might do plywood, hard chine or multi-chine. Easier in every way. Have you heard of Phil Bolger's Chebacco series? There are two versions, glues lapstrake and plywood. The plywood model is, to my eye, the more elegant. In fact, those chines accentuate the curves in a way the lapstrakes cannot do.
    1900 lbs, trailerable, probably you could get by without lofting.
    http://dory-man.blogspot.com/2009/03/chebacco.html

14. alan white

alan white Senior Member

I think Bolger's Chebacco 20 plan set is available full size. Wonderful boat. The plywood version is the best looking.

15. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

But it is still a catboat. The Dark Harbor 20 by S&S is nearly a duplicate of the Finnish Dragon, but a 30' it's too big for a garage buid, but the 12 is ideal. It looks as good on a trailer as it does in the water. So we are down to a choice between a Haven or the 12. Lots of pros and cons with each to consider. I have to do a lot more research on the D.H. 12. That is my first choice, but I'm worried about the plans. I haven't found a web site yet dedicated to a build, but I'll keep looking.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.