Newbie...please help...just need a kickstart

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by runabout'er, May 9, 2005.

1. runabout'er

runabout'er New Member

Ok folks...

Please hang in there with me. I am writing here because it's the most popular forum and my questions, although more powerboat related, is pretty general.

quick background: I want to focus on the classic runabouts (CC, GarWood, Hacker) at least for now. Plans and diagrams are available but I want to tweak these designs for modern boating (cold molded)

My questions are:

re design books, courses, etc: Are there any good books out there to get me started. I am not looking for the easy way out, but I feel as though these designs do not require the technical know how of sailing vessels. Although I am probably wrong. Any advice would be great!

re. software: I just can't believe I need a full blown, software program to play with these early designs and tweak them for modern boat building. Again, I am probably wrong.

Thank you in advance

Hazen

2. Eric Sponberg

Eric Sponberg Senior Member

Hazen,

Anyone interested in the classic runabouts should have some background on their history, and the best series of books that I know of on the subject are a series of seven books called "The Real Runabouts" by Robert Speltz. The complete series is available from:

Real Runabouts
    115 North Newton
    Albert Lea, MN 56007
    (507) 373-2145

The complete series is about $250.

As far as playing with or tweaking them, what is it that you really want to do? If you want to change hull shape, then you simply have to redraw them. You can do that by hand with drafting instruments, or by computer. By computer, you would need to have either a hull modelling program, or a drafting program.

The same applies to changing the structure or method of construction. You can redraw it by hand or by computer.

There are a variety of drafting programs available, some not very expensive.

You can also work with models. If you have a construction plan for a classic runabout, build a detailed model of the structure to see how it goes together, then play with the model to change the structure however you would like. If you come up with some good ideas on the model, you can draw construction plans at that stage, again either by hand or by computer.

There are a variety of methods and programs available to you, you just have to sort out which is the best method for your skills and your wallet.

Eric

3. runabout'er

runabout'er New Member

I should have made myself clearer...

thanks for the response Eric. My fault for not making myself clearer.

I have indeed spent the past several years researching all I can regarding the classics. I have all the books, gone to boat shows, etc.

Basically, I have sent off to the Mariner's Museum for the plans and designs of the Chris 26 foot Triple with the plan being to build the boat. However, rather than traditonal means, I want to use newer techniques, specifically, cold molding. I would also use battens along the bottom of the boat which was not typical of the CC's. So, I didn't know if altering such things would compromise the safety or production of the boat or if such changes are considered minimal. I have not viewed the actual design plans, but I would doubt they would have, for example, every frame drawn to a particular scale. Maybe they do. So I figured with the offsets, the lines etc. I could do this via a software design program. Then there's the problem of a software program. Lots of nice one's out there. Most good ones in the $800+ range. And what I need and am looking to do would probably amount to only 1% of the software's total capabilities. So I don't want to spend that much on something I would rarely use.

So, I guess I was looking for a solid, low cost software program as well as perhaps some design books that may help me with some of these questions.

And if this is too general of a question, I understand and apologize.

Thanks

Hazen

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.