Newbie platform boat build

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Zootalaws, Jul 25, 2012.

1. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Junior Member

Hey Telein,

Yes, I seriously looked at Jeff's Matagorda cat. It's good to get an opinion from someone that's used his plans - they're not a bad price for a purchased plan, too.

It's pretty close to what I want - 24', 8' wide, flat bottom, flat deck. And I'm sure it will perform a lot better than the 1960s Pop Mech. one I was looking at :)

The only thing that put me off was that it wasn't a flat-bow implementation - I'm a bit scared of compound curves :) ...but I've been looking at a lot of plans, both old and new, and looking at the Matagorda, I think it is definitely high on my list of preferred designs. And it's time to grow up and stop being afraid of curves :)

2. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Junior Member

I made it myself - piece of piss :) MDF, skate bearings, etc. Bought in the electronics and motors as a kit. Under AU$2000 in parts. I used an existing computer and freeware/open source software. I already had a couple of trim routers - which is what I use for cutting - plus a nifty bit of Aussie electronics that allows me to slow it from 24k rpm down to more manageable numbers.

It paid for itself in a couple of months. It could have paid for itself in a couple of weeks, if I had pushed myself on the sales front. I was designing, making and selling constantly and the only thing holding me back was time :)

My first one was a little rough, but I used that to manufacture my second one - which was made using the cannibalised mechanicals from my first one. The only cost for that was the MDF and a new rail system - which was just cheap rolled steel plate.

My new 6x10 one is going to be made out of ply/mdf, which I am getting someone else to cut out the bigger bits for me using a water jet. He can cut 4000x2000. I can make quite a few of the MDF components on my 4x4 machine. I will also buy in a bigger 2.2Kw router that will allow me to cut alloy, etc. I'm sure I can get some business from the car and boat markets :)

3. Telein

Telein Junior Member

The Matagorda is the one I thought of too. It was a cat and you expressed an interest in a flat bottom. It is a skinny water boat for sure.

Anyone building a CNC Mill from spare parts should have no fear of a couple of compound curves ;)

4. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Junior Member

I've sent an email to Spira asking for things like spec (weight, draft, displacement, engine), suitability for open (sheltered) water - i.e. what it's like in a bit of a chop.

I am concerned about weight - from both building as well as getting around perspectives. As I have the CNC, making ply bulkheads to replace the large 4x2 constructs may be one way to save weight. A composite construction using epoxy fillets and bulkheads but retain the 4x2 transverse structures may be the ticket. When I made furniture using local timber but to Euro/US spec, it is ridiculously heavy and strong. I could have used 30-50% less timber framing and still achieved a stronger structure.

I was planning to get a flatbed car transporter to winch it aboard and then dump it in the river - but using hardwood 4x2 and ply, as opposed to nice, light pine or other softwood, I think it's going to be damned unwieldy for me to handle on my own. Certainly a 24 footer built like this isn't going to be a candidate for a beach trailer :) The rivers are tidal, so it will be just my luck that the time I want to go out, it will be beached...

Brunei Bay is 35kms wide and sheltered-ish. If the Matagorda has a bit of choppy-sea ability, I think it's going to be a great option. If not, I don't know - I'll have to go looking again.

(CNC machine was all square-cut - nothing more than a 90 deg angle in the thing ;))

5. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Junior Member

Well I bit the bullet and bought the plans - I spent all day going over them and copying them into a CAD program - I want to change some of the dimensions - especially the 4x2, which in our local hardwood would be a heavy item.

I am sure I can work it out and redraft the plans to be both accurate and take account of my materials.

But first - my OzRacer RV :)

6. Les Hartley

Les Hartley Junior Member

Hey Zoot, I'm in Australia near the Murray River (which is fresh water and not sea water) and own a houseboat floating on steel pontoons. But around this area there are a few "booze-barges" like the one you are looking at building. Some of these boats float on 200 litre plastic drums, sealed and coupled together to the desired length and flotation. No maintenace is required on the drums and only the supports are treated against electroysis. There are also "barges" using PVC pipes sealed both ends for flotation and work really well. I think that most use about 600mm PVC (which can also be plastic welded if required) and is also maintenance free. Maybe another way to consider floating for freedom for you. It will be interesting to follow your progress with your project, mate. Best regards, Les Hartley

7. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Junior Member

Cheers Les.

How did you know I was making a booze barge? I thought I hid my light pretty well :)

I have just come back from the most hellish shopping trip - trying to get all the requisite bits together... after the timber yards (3) I went to the boat builders - the only one with any stock of epoxy wants AU$150 a US gallon, but they only have that chipped strand kind of fibreglass mat, no woven. And no glass tape, either...

The timber is ok - AU$18/sheet for the ply, AU$230 for the rest of the timber - I can live with that. But I need to find a better source of epoxy - I will probably buy it in from somewhere else...

The next fun thing was looking at boat motors - how does AU$4800 for a 40HP Yamaha sound? Or AU$8500 for a second hand 115HP Suzuki???

In deference to those of a nervous disposition I will keep the language seemly, but the inside of the Jeep was blue! :)

Looks like I will be driving to Malaysia and seeing what they have. I have spotted a 40HP 4-stroke Yamaha for US$1750. I would like a second-hand 65, if I can track one down. Ah well, we live in interesting times...

8. justin case

justin case New Member

Advice re airboat or pontoon build choice please

Hi.
    I want to build a craft that I can use recreationally, but also be able to help others.
    I live in Dundee Scotland, on the side of the River Tay which is the longest river in Scotland, opening out to the North Sea.
    I want to build something that can travel on water, ice, mud and grass, as I intend to use it in flood and mud rescue situations.
    My dilema is - which one to build? An airboat, pontoon or hovercraft???
    Each have their own advantages and disadvantages. I have seen the plans for the Sevtec Surveyor hovercraft and have thought about building that, but I want somethinhg that is easy to drag someone into.
    This is where I ask for the more experienced to help advise please. Thanks.

9. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

Ice, mud and especially grass is hard to traverse with a pontoon boat, so looks like you need a hovercraft or and airboat with wheels, the hovercraft is the best option. But rescue crafts are limited to power/sixe/configurations and especially money and that will have issues as a rescure craft, ie. passangers or litters.

There are also some amphibous crafts, the DUCK and 6 wheelers, that might be bore suitable, but there don't do well in rough waters.

Why aren't you using two vehicles, one for water and the other for land use?

10. justin case

justin case New Member

Hi Wavewacker and thanks for the reply.
    Cost is the main factor. I shall be building this myself on a shoestring budget, so I was hoping to find the best of both worlds really.
    I shall def take ONBOARD what you said though and thanks.

11. Wavewacker

Wavewacker Senior Member

If you have a really low budget I sugget you get some tractor innertubes and some plywood on top and and make a deckboat cover the bottom over the tubes with canvas to get a hull form and put a motor on it. $500.00 should cover a twenty footer. Good luck!

12. SamSam

SamSam Senior Member

I suppose you got your plans from here... http://svensons.com/boat/

I think plenty of wood boats got made without any fiberglass involved. You could go with semi-fiberglass, paint and cloth.

13. Zootalaws

Zootalaws Junior Member

Really you only have one choice for all your criteria - hovercraft. But expensive to run and not easy to handle. Same goes for airboat - at £1.30 a litre for gas, it won't take long before you stop using it.

I suggest you stick to one thing - recreation - and opt for a pontoon boat. Cheap to build, easy to power, plane in very little water, good with tidal flats.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.