Newbie needs serious help,

Discussion in 'Inboards' started by jeff1212, Jul 10, 2006.

1. jeff1212

jeff1212 New Member

Hey I just bought a salvaged boat,It has an in board that is seized I thought I would remove it and after removing the mounts and heaving it around I decided to unattach this bolt way at the other end of the shaft leading to the motor, some guy told me that this part was designed with a packing to alow only a drip of water in at times. What is this part called and now that I un did it how do I repack it so it does not drip, I used pipe dope and teflon tape but as you can see I know nothing about boats and the part is not fixed right.

2. marshmat

marshmat Senior Member

Hi Jeff,
    Step one: Put your tools down for a few minutes, get in the car, drive to the local library.
    Step two: Borrow a book on inboard boats. Read it.
    The mechanisms involved in this installation aren't complicated, but they are tricky and are easily damaged. The packing material in that stuffing box, for instance, is not at all like pipe dope- more likely it's either graphite- or beeswax-based and is specially made for these boxes. The few days to get and read a shop manual on inboard motors will be worth it, as it's very easy to damage the parts if you don't know how to handle them properly.

3. jeff1212

jeff1212 New Member

Thanks

Thanks for the reply, I went to get some shaft stuffing but they didnot have the diameter I needed, The reason for the pipe dope was a temporary fix so I did not wake up in the morning with a more serious problem. I want to put an inboard in but for this summer am looking for an outboard. I am thinking I will have to leave that shaft in there to prevent water from flooding in. But I want to remove the sized engine to reduce weight. Can i disconnect that shaft where it enters the engine ? I can get some books but I donot have a manual and have know idea about the specifics of the engine other then it is a one cilinder diesel, that I just want to take out. How would you recomend I do so?

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.