Newbie needs help...

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by FadeDude, Mar 19, 2011.

1. FadeDude

FadeDude Junior Member

Motors

Thanks for the link and pics... nice lookn cats that..... I did not really even considder a flydeck (if thats what you call it). I did considder the roof of the cabin as a type of a "tanning deck" or something.

I see my design still ahs the cabin alot more forward than others. I am trying to get maximum deck size at the abck, for ncie stools and chair rows etc.

Regarding engine. I was initially thinking twin engine one in each hull. I later sort of thought because of engineering issues, two outboards might just be better.

My thought process regarding the motors are in teh direction of hiding the props. It has always bugged me big time, have "open" knives with alot of torque so close to people getting into the boat from the water. I ideally would like to ahve them out of sight and mind, not worying about snagging someone with them....

My in hull method was heading towards the line of tubes inside the hulls, housing the prop. I guesse sort of jetting it out at the back. The problems I can think of regarding this seems to be mroe than the benefit, IE, servicing the props and mechanics, keep the whole thing from sinking (so as to make it servicable) :) etc.

I think two out boards mmight just be the way to go...

2. kdhorton

kdhorton HM Small Boat Designer

I love Devlin Tugs, seriously my dream home is one of their 40'+/- tugs. On a whim I asked for a quote and at $800,000 the word "dream" will remain emphasized. But they have awesome craft designs.

3. FadeDude

FadeDude Junior Member

hey guys.

Ok from another post in this forum, I have come across two pretty cool sailing cat plans, the Jarcat 6 and the waller tc670. Both look really cool...

Do you think I can "use" these plans, and adjust as neccesary to fit what |I am going to be trying to do? Both these guys really look good!

What concerns are there for "motorizing" a sailing design yacht? I would at least like to have a bit of power and handling when its needed? Structural strength etc?

4. cthippo

cthippo Senior Member

As I understand it the issue with converting a sailboat to motor propulsion is one of stability. The sailboat is designed taking into account the moment arm of the mast and so without that they have issues. One of the NAs would have to answer the question of how significant that might be with a Jarcat or similar design.

5. FadeDude

FadeDude Junior Member

Thanks CT

I got a response back from Alan Turner, but I still cant desice really what his intentions were in his ieplyto me... He very diplomatically in two lines told me toind plans somewhere else, he dit not even attempt to answer any of my questions regarding the plans...

That seals the dela for me NOT to even look at a Jarcat unfortunately....

6. FadeDude

FadeDude Junior Member

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.