newbie needs advice

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by andremh, Jul 3, 2008.

1. andremh

andremh Junior Member

Hi my name is Andre, you will be hearing from me alot in the next year, I am buying a project and going to get it ship shape myself, then i am going to be living in it in Gibraltar.

I am interested in interior design of yachts, I have ideas for a yacht that i have not yet got:!: but I will have, this time next year:D .
    I am going to do the interior myself, so I need advice on many aspects of yacht interior, any good yacht interior design books would help greatly if you can think of any, please let me know. so,
    1. within the ribs of the yacht do you have to put in fire proof insulation? is there written fire safety and BSS standards anywhere on this site?
    2. when i have what i need to fill the ribs, i was going to place '3mm marine ply' all the way round? is this the right procedure?
    3. and may i ask what is the minimum thickness for a yacht interior floor, i was thinking maybe 20mm board:confused: or some reinforced board:confused: again is this stated anywhere on the internet or this site:confused: .
    4. I know the beam of the yacht I want HAS to be 8ft minimum,
    but I am just guessing at the length, from start of the forepeak to the back of the 'companion way' and this again I need a yacht of minimum 17ft.
    I must state I am not buying a multi thousand pound yacht, I have a 7,000 budget, have seen on www.boatshed.com many good hulls and stripped out yachts for sale at fair prices.
    but the 8ftx17ftx6ft interior is what i am looking for.
    herein, i need standard measurements i have tried the internet but not come across any as yet, any suggestions for this as yachts and sizes are quite varied? I think something between 30 and 34ft as this boat will have a permanent mooring with me living in it, so i do not want to be in the next band up and pay more mooring fees:cool:.
    ANY advice for this newbie will be greatly appreciated, more questions soon
    Andre

2. AuxiliaryComms

AuxiliaryComms Master work in progress

Are you thinking about a sailing yacht or a power yacht?

I've no practical experience yet but have two books I'd recommend to you:

1.) Boat Interior Construction A best Selling Guide to DIY Interior Boatbuilding by Michael Naujok; ISBN 1-57409-153-0

2.) Your First Sailboat How to Find and Sail the Right Boat for You by Daniel Spurr; ISBN 0-07-142216-1

3.) 100 Fast & Easy Boat Improvements by Don Casey; ISBN 0-07-144055-0

The first one talks about everything from bare-bones onward. The second one is more useful if you're looking into sail-boats but has some advice suited for power as well. The third one is more for things to do once you have your boat but can give you some good ideas that you may want to do as part of your refit, it covers everything from teak decks to chafing gear.

For BSS Requirements I know there are going to be things that apply to you but I'm not sure where to get them.

For insulation, even if it isn't required a flame retardants is a good idea. If I recall correctly (let some of the experienced folks her guide you) I believe you do insulation only to the cabin sole and then only to about 6 inches from the ceiling then you need to leave a gap in your paneling so that air can circulate and moisture can be removed.

I think you may want to look for something in the 35-40 foot range to get your cabin space as well though you may easily find that you get your space out of the 30-34 range. Best advice here is to find a boat you think you like then go look at it. You are very right that each layout will be different.

Good luck, I'm hoping to do the same thing.

3. andremh

andremh Junior Member

Thanx for the advice

I will track down your book advice they sound perfect for my situation:) .
    On the other subjects too, thanx for the advice on fire proof insulation, i could go cheap and use rockwool or even http://www.rockwool.co.uk/sw58920.asp or this sounds a good idea http://www.tootoo.com/show/165513/product_showroom/
    pid_403440/Heat_insulating_vermiculite__board

because i am also buying a very load entertainment system, the noise reduction will as beneficial as the fire retardant!
    also, thanx for the tip on room circulation as i did not think of that, and I save a few pounds in the deal as i will need less insulation, as it can cost around 25GBP for 1mx0.5m :D
    and yes, i agree on a 40ft boat, but this is my first project and i want to sell it fast and upgrade to a larger vessel like that, until i am happy with the yacht i have:cool:.
    and i wish to go into business doing boat interior design and development as my concept are an evolution on the design concept of boats, if you are starting a project we could discuss this more, speak soon Jason
    Thanx again
    Andre

4. AuxiliaryComms

AuxiliaryComms Master work in progress

If your goal is to seel you will really need to look into the BSS compliance because the boat will have to have certification (I think).

5. andremh

andremh Junior Member

Thanx for that, i am onto it:)

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.