strip planking instead of lapstrake

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by Archie1979, Feb 8, 2008.

1. Archie1979

Archie1979 Junior Member

Just a quick question,
    Does anyone know if I can simply change my boat plans from lapstrake planking to strip planking. Has anyone had any experience in either of the two construction planking methods.
    I am more preferential to the sleek smooth finish of the strip planked hull instead of the lapstrake as I will be finishing my hull clear coat mahogonay or similiar.

Cheers everyone

2. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

If your boat is more or less a dinghy size no worries. With bigger projects there might come some issues..

3. Archie1979

Archie1979 Junior Member

Well my boat that I am constructing is a 19.3 foot power boat with 2 berths sink toilet etc.
    What sort of problems would I have?
    Cheers

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

A strip planked boat is usually a fair amount heavier then a lapped boat, particularly if a glued lap build.

Yes, you can change to lap, from a strip build, but you'll have to adjust scantlings to suit, which isn't a simple task and likely not within the realm of the novice. I'd have to spend several hours working out a new schedule and it wouldn't be my first picnic in this regard. The novice would have to be very well versed with construction methods and scantling arrangements for the two methods.

For what it's worth, there's not much better looking a hull then a lapstrake, especially if finished bright. It is a much less novice friendly method then strip planking, but a very rewarding result.

You'd be best advised to consult a designer for a proper set of scantling conversions.

5. TeddyDiver

TeddyDiver Gollywobbler

You might consider doing the calcs yourself after studying The Elements of Boat Strength by Dave Gerr or another good book having usable scantling rules.

6. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

Dave Geer's book is a fine bit of work, but he is assuming much about the reader's previous skills in design and engineering boat like structures. If you understand building principles and common engineering ploys to solve potential issues, then it's an enjoyable book. If you're relatively inexperienced in this, it can be a "thick" read, in spite of Dave's writing style.

7. Archie1979

Archie1979 Junior Member

Thanks for all the info guys

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.