newbie here would like to build a 15 ft open boat

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by bumblebeehead, Oct 17, 2010.

1. bumblebeehead

bumblebeehead Junior Member

how many center console boats in the 16 ft range have a 100 or better? take out the pulpit and steer at the tiller.

2. bumblebeehead

if i wanted a boat that was already out there i would just buy one. i want to build my own unique boat

3. bumblebeehead

possibly im overqualified and shouldn't ask questions but i do have so many questions.

4. bumblebeehead

if the lumberyard has lumber that is stamped }sitka{ spruce is that good boat building stuff? 2x4 thru 2x12 by 16 ft.

5. rasorinc

rasorinc Senior Member

If it is trully Sitka Spruce it is light weight and a good lumber for boat building. Normally you see 1 x stock not 2 x.

6. bumblebeehead

yes its very light and strong

7. bumblebeehead

i guess i better call around and see which one it was. all the yards have two types of lumber, fir or spruce and one or 3 of them here locally its stamped sitka spruce

8. bumblebeehead

its all 2x though
    im thinking i need the back half of the boat have thicker frames and maybe have them get smaller out front down to thin steam bent in the nose

9. troy2000

troy2000 Senior Member

Will I be charged with negativity if I point out that none of the overpowered boats you posted pic's of were open skiffs?:)

They all had significant deck structure. A tube is a lot stronger than an open trough....

10. bumblebeehead

well , it wasnt exactly positive , nor did it add any content helpful.

maybe you could chime in and say something like this.....Well mike you could beef up the seats as additional suport, try to gain strength with a good transom and knee brace connected to a significant keel member, tie it to a strong shear board, and with some other considerations, you could build a boat like you are talking about, it would be kinda heavy and probably not very fast but would be unique creation by you.

11. bumblebeehead

by the way troy, i like your idea of charging for negativity.pay pal accepted

12. bumblebeehead

looks nice

i wonder if its home made.

Attached Files:

13. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

My guess is you would need a timber that is strong perpendicular to the grain, not just along it, to take the shock loads of a fast planing boat. That may demand a particular species, cut in a specific way (consult a website where the various sawing angles are explained), and certainly free of knots. Wood is not an homogenous material unfortunately, and ply is an attempt to overcome that shortcoming. Your project is a pretty difficult and potentially time consuming one. Not, I hope, as long-winded as a guy I know who has been restoring a vintage car for 40 years and still not done !

14. Petros

Petros Senior Member

Here is a site with some traditional old boat plans for free, some are decent and can be beefed up for what you want.

http://www.svensons.com/boat/

I would use doug fir, not sitka spruce. Doug Fir is stronger and more rot resistant, and easier to find, it has better fastener holding power as well. It weighs more but for the power you are talking about I think a better choice. Find SS rated or better in the lumber yard and it will work out fine.

good luck.

15. bumblebeehead

lapstrake with plywood , big frames and keel board aft with each one forward a little smaller,paint the outside, clear inside.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.