newbie help please hull

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by kd19792, Jun 28, 2010.

1. kd19792

kd19792 Junior Member

hi
    for years i wanted to work on a boat, just got one but the hull is fibreglass and has been sanded down! what is the best way to repair this from a d.i.y point of view? as i will be doing this!

thanks

2. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Well hello and welcome.....

You're going to have to tell us more. Sanded down. Do you mean the gelcoat has been sanded off and you're looking at bare polyester? What are you trying to do?

MIA

3. kd19792

kd19792 Junior Member

hi
    yes sorry well we were just planing on using it as day boat for fishing so will be in and out of the water! more time out!

the gel coat has been removed in large sections of the hull(sanded down) and needs either a new gel coat or repainting but im unsure of what the best way is!

i would like to restore boat myself and not rely on professonal companys its all new to me!

i will try and get some picture tomorrow if i can get over to it!

4. kd19792

kd19792 Junior Member

heres couple of pics

Attached Files:

5. kd19792

kd19792 Junior Member

been having a good look around hull today it does not appear to be gel coat on anyway, just seems to be a rubberized paint of some king not been painted very well anyway so im assuming this is why previous ower has started to sand it down! also has some poor fiberglass repair to bottom of hull which have not benn rubbed down just painted over!

also if any on know what type of boat this is it would be great to know! or any info on it would be great also

many thanks

sorry for all questions im very new to this!

6. apex1

apex1 Guest

Not to disappoint you,

but how much have they paid you to take her home?

That looks much like a case of negative value even after being repaired!

Are you aware of the time and cost to bring such a "tinkered to death" toy back into a useable condition?

Regards
    Richard

7. kd19792

kd19792 Junior Member

yes i know theres alot to do and aware of negitive value but as im not in it to make cash it just a project im not bothered about the value it just a learning curve before i get a decent boat! i didnt pay much for it and i have 2 engine with it which looking on ebay are worth more than i paid anyway

8. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

Well, Richard is right to caution you, but I've seen worse and it's not that big so that's a plus. The transom looks like it's 1 1/2" thick, perhaps the outer layer was added (sistered) but I can't really tell from the photo.

It's hard to tell what the heck is on the boat (rubbberized paint?, putty? caulk? or some combination). It would seem to me that first you need to determine a method of getting the mess off. You might try a heat gun and a sturdy scraper. This will build your arm muscles and is tedious but might work. Years ago I bought one of these:

http://www.milwaukeetool.com/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductId=8977-20&CategoryName=Heat Guns

It was a great help in getting the old fiberglass off my 73 Silverton. There are other makes of heat guns as well. I only mention this one as it has been used often and has never needed repair.

That's where I'd look to start.....once you get the goop and paint off you can determine where you want to go. While you're resting your arms from the scraping read some books about boat restoration and repair.

Maybe this:

http://www.amazon.com/This-Old-Boat-Second-Completely/dp/0071477942

or this:

http://www.amazon.com/Wooden-Boat-R...=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1277897487&sr=1-4

You can probably get these at your local library. The Casey book is more comprehensive but both are worth reading. In order to fix that boat, you need to "go to school" and learn some new skills.

Good Luck,

MIA

9. kd19792

kd19792 Junior Member

thanks for help and advice from both off you off to do some scraping lol