Newb with stringer question

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by Shinchan, Mar 27, 2009.

1. Shinchan

Shinchan Junior Member

Aloha! I just salvaged an old Seaswirl P-14 hull that I was thinking of rebuilding. It is just the hull with no floor, stringers or cap. Just the fiberglass shell so I can't get a stringer shape. How would I go and put stringers in to make it fit? :?: Is there some sort of way to get a pattern- something like a tick stick method? :confused: Mahalo for any info, Randy

2. Landlubber

Landlubber Senior Member

Shinchan,

No tick sticks are for bulkhead etc, the stringers are simply following, often a waterline, such as when used for cockpit sole levels.

A 14 footer will not use a lot of undersole reinforcement, if you make a few transverse frames and a apir of longitudinal beams parallel to the centreline, about 3 feet apart, you will be close. Go have a gander at similar boats in yards to get the idea, it will not be too difficult for you. The beams can be made hollow, just formed up over a simple mould of 4x2s.

3. Shinchan

Shinchan Junior Member

So the beams can lie directly on the hull? Or would that create a hard spot? How do I cut it so it follows the curvature of the hull while keeping it level with the floor height? Should I rough cut it, tab it in place and then plane it down to height? Sorry for so many questions. I saw this process done as a kid with a plumb bob and a level but I wasn't really paying attention (hey at 12, I just wanted to fish...) :p Mahalo again, Randy

4. alan white

alan white Senior Member

After levelling the boat, you can set a straight board on edge, level, along the line of a stringer or transverse frame at the desired sole level. A pair of dividers or a short stick held vertically is then used to transfer the curvature or angle, using a pencil. If you tack paper to the board beforehand, you can make a pattern for every piece, from longest to shortest, cutting the same board until you've got patterns of every piece.

5. Shinchan

Shinchan Junior Member

Sounds good, I'll try that! If not, well, back to the grinder..;)