from where to start??

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by guneetbhatia, Aug 18, 2007.

1. guneetbhatia

guneetbhatia New Member

i am a second year student of mechanical and automation engineering.
    we a annual fest in which there is a boat makin contest.as i'm new to all this..so please can anyone help me in making the working model of the boat.
    please suggest me from where to start??

2. USCGRET/E8

USCGRET/E8 Senior Chief

Need more info. Size of boat, type of boat, (sail,motor, etc.)
    building material to be used, etc...

3. guneetbhatia

guneetbhatia New Member

it will be a motor boat.and for the time being i need to make a just a working model.so the size has to that of a toy..

4. Guest625101138

Guest625101138 Previous Member

What building materials do you have? Things like balsa wood, fibreglass cloth, polyester resin, aluminium sheet

What sort of motor do you intend to use?

5. guneetbhatia

guneetbhatia New Member

we will be using most probably aluminium.but if you think that something else would me more appropriate,then please suggest..
    and as far as motors are concerened..i have no idea about which is better..
    i am completely new to this area..so please guide whatever you think will be the best

6. messabout

messabout Senior Member

Use balsa wood covered with very light GRP. If the model is very small less than 0.5+/- meter in length you may not need the GRP. Since the model is to have a motor it is presumed that it will be a working model.

As a working model, among your first calculations will be scale displacement. Example; if it is to be a one fifth scale model then take the cube of the scale denominator, 5^3 =125 Then a 500kg full size boat will have a model that displaces 500/125=4kg. etc.... No doubt you can do the displacement calculations for the model using ordinary geometric analysis, simpsons rule, or whatever. Try to keep the hull and decks very light because it is very easy to make the whole model too heavy. Use an electric motor because they are less complicated than internal combustion types and cleaner too. During your weight calculations do not forget to include the weight of the batteries. You might find some more information at Fastelectric.com and similar model boating sites.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.