Wanting to build a fiberglass box using shell as mold?

Discussion in 'Fiberglass and Composite Boat Building' started by vincent9993, Mar 24, 2009.

1. vincent9993

vincent9993 New Member

Ok so it's not quite a boat but I've had most of my answers to my questions by asking the boat community.

I have a Berrien buggy and I want to create a removable fiberglass box inside the back area. What is the safest and easiest way to go about doing so?

I was thinking of trying to buildup the inside with wax or clay then lay glass inside.

It would be nice if I could make the box a hair smaller to line the outside with some sort of protective felt when completed. I was going to use MDF to close up the front of the box.

[​IMG]

2. jim lee

jim lee Senior Member

Do you want the inside or the outside of the box to be the "finished" side? Don't know about the others but I'm having a tough time picturing what your trying to do here.

-jim lee

3. gamecock413

gamecock413 Junior Member

you can do it, but if you want that extra space for felt its a little tricky. what you could do is put the felt in place where you want it then put wax paper over the felt just spray tack it to the felt. Make sure you do a good job waxing your buggy, Then cut out some card board to put in the fourth wall for the empty side (after you have pulled the part from the buggy) and hot glue it in place reinforce the inside wall some, then lay up over it. That'll give you a box that should fit, and you can allways sand it down some if you need to. That by the way is a quick and dirty way of doing it.

4. vincent9993

vincent9993 New Member

I'm not overly concerned about the inside. It's going to be used for storage, I may sand it down but it needs no be super smooth.

5. vincent9993

vincent9993 New Member

Maybe this will be a little clearer:

[​IMG]

I'm basically wanting to build a removable box. If I push my wishful ambitions, I would like to indent the front to make room for luggage.

The inside needs not be super smooth, I may sand it down and possibly use some body filler to smooth it down. I'm thinking of using 1/2" MDF for the front and top and glass over it.

For reference, this is us leaving for Myrtle Beach last year. I want to make it so I can see from the back this year.
    [​IMG]

6. dshowalt

dshowalt Junior Member

Why not just model your box out of 1/2" foam. Easy to shape get the nice curves and fit it to the existing body. Then fiberglass the outside with 18oz Biaz glass. Fair and sand then cut out the "door". Glass the inside and glue Indoor Outdoor carpet to the inside and You'll have a removable box.

7. Kaptin-Jer

Kaptin-Jer Semi-Pro

I think you need a bigger box for your hockey gear, but building a foam mold first is the way to go. You can fill and fare it so you get a finished surface on one side.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.