Sail Drone

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Oct 28, 2013.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

This is a very interesting concept-seen on SA. Check out the tracking-it's only about 400 miles from Hawaii sailing from the US.
    http://saildrone.com/index.php/technology

Saildrone is constructed from high strength carbon fibre to create an extremely strong and durable structure. While looking delicate in its appearance, Saildrone is incredibly strong and is engineered to be fully submerged and rolled in extreme waves.

The Saildrone's hydrodynamic design is a hybrid, that combines the best features of mono and multi-hulls. The result is a fully self-righting platform, that also benefits from high righting moments and wave piercing capabilities to reduce pitch and energy absorption from waves.

click:

Attached Files:

2. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

What does it give us?

3. lucdekeyser

lucdekeyser Senior Member

Harbor Wing

Very interesting. This looks like the Harbor Wing AUSV done right or, at least, done.

4. daiquiri

daiquiri Engineering and Design

5. dskira

dskira Previous Member

Not "US", don't write about other, it's arrogant.
    But it will give "YOU" nothing since you have no idea about boats.

6. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

By "us" I think he means humanity, not just U.S.

7. dskira

dskira Previous Member

At least he knows now what I think :)

8. Corley

Corley epoxy coated

I'm not sure governments would be keen on having lots of individual cargo carriers zipping across the ocean. The project is interesting though.

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

I think it is amazing that the prototype has almost made it to Hawaii from California. I remember in the Transpac ,not too long ago, the reports of so much junk in the water-I don't see how this thing could make it thru that. But it is a very interesting little trimaran and the "swarm" concept is intriguing.

10. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Doug,

I am still not sure what it gives us, or US for one of those on ignore.

Remotely piloted vessels will give big business advantages, what does a crew of 10 cost a ship? 10% of fuel costs? Maybe?

But, for the rest of us, how would this wing, design, or technology help us?

I can see requiring those intrepid types that like to sail solo into shipping lanes. That is safety.

But, does the average sailor gain from this technology?

I can see the wow factor, it probably helped them to borrow from the technology used to control remotes on Mars. And that is 'cool.'

US? US navy has been trying to keep up their remote advantages - I can understand that, I am tactical and strategic.

I am just not sure it gains us, as general sailors much.

Aircraft using this, certainly, air lanes. Air lanes are extremely over congested in areas.

Maybe even cars using this to cut LA commutes by 30%, go green!

But, what does remote piloting gain the general boating community?

PS - I guess my concern would be best defined as over dependence on technology rather than sailing experience. I.e., we already have people attempting crossings who survive more by luck than experience. Going solo through lanes and endangering others, would this encourage more risky behavior, or reduce risky behavior?

11. redreuben

redreuben redreuben

I don't think the remote piloting is where it's at, I think the potential to be mined for the average sailor may be in the partial ballasting self tending nature of the rig and superstructure.
    RR

12. hoytedow

hoytedow Carbon Based Life Form

One thing is for sure. You can't hold the crew of a drone for ransom.

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

===============
    Haven't had enough time to consider that other than the potential mentioned on the website for everybody. Off the top of my head I see no reason why "remotely piloting [should] gain the general boating community" anything specifically as opposed to everybody?
    I guess I can see possibilities of extending search and rescue economically after a "normal" search is complete. There are probably hundreds of other applications if the system proves viable in all conditions. I wish them luck and hope it works out.

14. El_Guero

El_Guero Previous Member

Thank you.

I like the cool factor, and I understand the US Navy is staying ahead of the competition, when the competition doesn't hack computers and borrow the research ....

Cool features are always fun, and neat. I love the Science of just about everything. So, I wish them luck, but I also like things we can use. So, I do appreciate your comment on search and rescue ..... that would reduce cost and make it safer for responders.

And of course, Hoyt is right, we can reduce the piracy threat.

And I think the reduced mine threat - was that RedRuben? - is an advantage for the Navy guys, I hope the rest of us don't have to play with things which go 'bang.'

Thanks!

15. champ0815

champ0815 Senior Member

Well, I am sufficient convinced from the potential stated on their web site: self positioning buoys and science projects.
    If these things are really self sufficient in terms of energy for satellite communication to get the results of however survey they are on back to land, it is a real improvement for long term ocean research in cost efficiency.
    About a scale up to real commercial cargo carriers I am not so sure, though

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.