Flotation pods?

Discussion in 'Jet Drives' started by Akgramps, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Akgramps

Akgramps Junior Member

I am considering adding floatation pods to my 20 foot jet boat and looking for some imput, at first glance they seem like a reasonably straightforward and simple affair. But like all things relating to boats there are always some considerations.
    The boat is 20' w/ a 60" bottom, 6 degree deadrise, aluminum hulled.
    It is outboard powered w/ a 140 HP 4Stroke (~430 pounds). motor is on a lift so is set back from the transom some 5 inches.
    The issue is the boat is relatively narrow and when drifting (shallow rivers) it can draw quite a bit of water, 12 inches or more depending on the load, even worse since I added the lift.
    Installing the lift and hence moving the motor back has added 3-4 inches to its draft.
    The other issue is, getting on step can be ponderous when loaded heavy.
    My research on "pods" has indicated they can practically eliminate these two issues, so far what I have learned is the bottom of the pods needs to angle up some from the transom so as not to impact handling, same thing apperantly with the sides, so as not to effect the boats turning ability.

Has anyone expermented with pods and have any advice to offer?
    This is not a high speed craft, 35- 40 MPH is max for this outfit.

Thanks for the help.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.