New Trimaran Foilers

Discussion in 'Multihulls' started by Doug Lord, Jun 8, 2016.

1. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

2. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

3. Vantage475T

Vantage475T Adventure Trimarans

There was a further update from Len Surtees on his Sting 600 before Christmas which I forgot to post.

His website shows the renderings of the forward foils:
    https://www.sting600.net/

He is hoping to be getting the foils progressed this month I think with some further videos of the foils as they are developed and is hoping to be foiling in February.

Doug Lord likes this.
  4. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

5. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

revintage likes this.
  6. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Charles Heidsieck IV has nothing in common with the Fire Arrow Foil System except a foil on the daggerboard. The Fire Arrow Foil System is a trimaran flying system that includes an adjustable lifting foil on the daggerboard capable of downforce*, an UptiP foil on each ama and one or more rudder T-foils. And for smaller tri's a Two Stage Ama.
    Heidsieck was also too heavy to fly and performed poorly.
    -----
    *Great article by VPLP(Banque Pop's designers) : |LIFT OFF…Designers VPLP on the ULTIME's Flying Time | Route du Rhum - Destination Guadeloupe https://www.routedurhum.com/en/news/230
    Excerpt:
    VPLP: On these big boats, when you ease a sail, it is a pain because it takes so long to grind it back in. But here you press a button and the angles of incidence change. And with the foil on the daggerboard you can use it to alter the flight according to the wind.** If it builds, rather than easing the sheet you increase the righting moment by increasing the angle and conversely, as it eases you can reduce it and let it fly more.
    ** done 100% automatically on Fire Arrow/WOLF with the wand controlled main foil.

---------------------
    See the latest issue of "FOILERS!" with a story about the rediscovery of the Charles Heidsieck IV here: High Performance MPX Foil/Self-righting Trimaran-The Test Model https://www.boatdesign.net/threads/high-performance-mpx-foil-self-righting-trimaran-the-test-model.36058/page-190 post 2841

Gitana 17 Flying on the Most Advanced Trimaran Foiling System Ever:
    [​IMG]

Fire Arrow Doing Exactly the Same Thing:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  7. Gary Baigent

Gary Baigent Senior Member

Delusional, much?

8. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

9. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Update from Len Surtees on the 600 foiler:
    Hi Doug
    Processing slowly, December was lost and February is same.
    Am currently interstate working and not home till 25th.
    Then finish foils, plugs are done, a jig to set up foils is completed which means next step is to lay up fiber glass molds.
    Hopefully first tow test can be started here at Tin Can Bay by late March.
    Plan is to tow test without rig, then test with rig up till confident all is working well.
    The local waterway is limited for foiling so plan to drive 1,000klm down to Lake Macquarie for sail testing, this is same place as sailing video was taken.
    This is a deep and very large lake which is tidal influence but is perfect for foiling.
    We will carefully document all aspects of testing and will put a video out showing external and on board footage.

10. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

3/7/19 update from Len:

Hi Doug
    Have attached photo showing fwd foil and rudder plugs ready to set up on jig to fit knuckles, this weekend will see Rudder T foil mold complete then start on fwd foil molds.
    With no interruptions actual foils will be completed by end of this month ready for testing.
    I had planned on web site to be updated but my web site helper is no longer available hence the delays.
    Will try to update next week.
    If you find time Doug I would appreciate you posting this for me, thanks
    Best regards
    Len Surtees

Len Surtees foil and rudder plugs.jpg

Last edited: Mar 12, 2019
  11. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

3/12/19 update from Len on the 600 foils:
    Hi Doug
    Have attached two photos of now completed rudder elevator, just need to be polished. Will laminate soon and fit to rudder with three 8mm countersunk ss bolts. This Sunday the 17th will have STING #1 weighed and measured for OMR.
    Then I can concentrate on completing fwd foil wing molds, this is a slow labour intensive process, so nearly there.
    Have organised tow testing and sail testing of foil wings to be held at Lake Macquarie, just north of Sydney.
    Tom Slingsby ( America's cup skipper ) has just built a new home overlooking our test site, mmm I wonder, haha
    I like to keep you in the loop Doug and appreciate you sharing this information.
    Best regards
    Len Surtees

Len Surtees rud elevate 600.jpg

Len Surtees 3-12-19 rud elev.jpg

12. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

13. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Sting 600 Update:
    Hi Doug
    Have attached photo showing rudder elevator completed. Now post curing in oven then I will suspend at each end and static load 200 kg ( 440 lbs ).
    Forward foil mold is well underway and Peter Schwarzel ( brilliant structural yacht engineer ) will help vacuuming forward wing foils end of next week. First set of foils are standard vacuumed with weight to resin ratio at 40%. We will discuss setting up for infusion on production wings.
    STING 600 is officially 40kg ( 88 lbs ) lighter then the all composite production Pulse 600. My weight includes all necessary safety gear for Category 5. There are several ways to make the STING 600 lighter by using a conventional mast rather then my wing mast ( a saving of several kg ) also my seats made from composites can be made from aluminum tubes with strong fabric another several kg, also have updated hull build and eliminated all frame stringers by replacing with epoxy coving ( another several kg savings )
    Now have all Ronstan blocks and hardware to raise and lower wings so nearly there Doug.
    First foil test will be a simple tow test locally to establish basic understanding of settings then sail testing at Lake Macquarie.
    Should have more info in several days time,
    Best regards
    Len Surtees

Len Surtees rudder elevator.jpg

14. Doug Lord

Doug Lord Flight Ready

Flying Mantis Foiling Tri--check out the smoke visualization of the flow off the boom:

15. upchurchmr

upchurchmr Senior Member

Looks like a Moth with training wheels. Seems to sail like one also.

I got a little bored with the "smoke".

Did they ever show it taking off from rest?

I suppose the extra weight over a Moth cuts the performance a bit?

Was the Jaguar suppose to show how wonderful the boat was? Really cheesy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.