New design to get pontoons up on top

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by luckyjr, Mar 2, 2013.

1. luckyjr

luckyjr Junior Member

I just installed the cones 23" to 29" od to the rear of the toons. with the extended 3rd , I got up on top with a 135 on this 37' pretty quick.
    Surprised. I think without an extended 3rd it would nose dive on a normal pontoon boat. IMO, I think a extended third with the cones rear would kick it on a normal pontoon.

Attached Files:

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Actually it would not nose dive but squat. The extensions bring the trim down by the bow like trim tabs would.

3. luckyjr

luckyjr Junior Member

The extension cone is 5' long. The transition from 23" Od to 29" od drops 3" in that distance. The flow of the water is also different with cone shape. It was strange to feel such a pronounced lift on this 4800 lb boat with only 135.

How do you feel this would do on a 24' standard pontoon?

4. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

23" to 24" is not much of a difference. It will have a similar effect but a bit less pronounced.

5. Johnbrad

Johnbrad Previous Member

The bow looks great!

6. luckyjr

luckyjr Junior Member

Thanks thinkg about building a 25' standard pontoon with the same design. I heard diamond plate would break up the water sticking to the bottom of the pontoon. T F To hold 300hp. this boat has the first steel channel cross members with 6" structural steel studs floor tack welded at each inter section. it is solid as a rock. Without a cabin and not 38' long , it should kick some budy.

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.