New to this, plywood question

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by juan manuel luna, Feb 15, 2019.

1. juan manuel luna

juan manuel luna New Member

Hello! My name is Juan Manuel Luna, I'm from Argentina. I'm going to build a stitch and glue boat. Easy build for my first motor boat. The boat is a classic 17, c17, from bateau. I know almost everything about stitch and glue build, but I have a question. I can't find okoume marine plywood in my country. I could only find marine pine plywood. I know, is not the best. But for know is what a have. What do you think about that plywood?. My idea is to go practicing and lerning for more complicated and bigger boats. So any idea or opinion is welcome. Thanks for all!

2. Mr Efficiency

Mr Efficiency Senior Member

"marine pine plywood". If it is certified as "marine", which would mean waterproof glue, no knots etc, it may be quite OK, pine is a very generic term, could mean anything. Some pine species are used in marine plywood.

3. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

Sounds like a good plan. Bateau does a good job with their plans and help, I have found.

IF the plywood is marine grade, that is a good start.

The type of pine, you haven't said.

I presume the whole boat will be encapsulated in Epoxy, so the quality of the wood to withstand water isn't as critical.
    BUT
    If the plywood is oily or "sticky", there might be issues with Epoxy adhesion. This is particularly a problem with Radiata Pine timber.
    You need to do a test if you have any doubt. Just get a small piece, and apply some epoxy and glass, and see how well it adhere when cured. .25 m squared would be sufficient area for a test.

The next biggest issue would be weight. You don't want an overweight boat, but at 17ft long, its not going to be as critical as a smaller boat like a canoe.

So adhesion and weight are the two things to look into.

4. Angélique

Angélique aka Angel (only by name)

Last edited: Feb 17, 2019
    rwatson likes this.
  5. missinginaction

missinginaction Senior Member

In response to Rwatsons comment about Radiata Pine. Maybe we're not talking about the same thing but I used a product called AraucoPly. I'll post a link to the manufacturer below.

http://web.araucoply.com/informacion2.asp?Submenu=1514&cat=0&fin=0&idioma=44

I didn't build a hull out of it. I did use it for the interior cabin sole, interior partitions and most importantly the flybridge on my 1973 Silverton restoration. The flybridge was built in 2012, the other parts somewhat earlier. I used the sealing methods that I learned here. Three coats of resin on all 6 sides and then sheathed the panels with 4 oz. fiberglass cloth, they were prepped and painted with 2 part LPU paint and the interior panels were sometimes done with HPDL (Wilsonart). I'm meticulous when dealing with fasteners and sealing. I never had a problem with any of it, the boat has been in use since 2014 and sits at the dock all summer. That flybridge, especially, is sitting out drenched in dew every night and baking in the sun all day.

It's somewhat heavier than Okoume but other than that it's performance was fine. I don't think I'd build a large hull out of it but for what the OP wants to do it may be an option.

The OP should be able to find AraucoPly in his country as I understand that it's actually made there. Before I started with AraucoPly I boiled it in a pot for a few hours then baked it in an oven then boiled it again. It never delaminated.

MIA.

fallguy and Angélique like this.
  6. Angélique

I've just looked at Vendia plywood products made of Finnish pine, from the above article. Which is made from sliced rather than rotary peeled veneers, so it's only available as planks and beams, and not as sheets. Keel beams and keel planks and bent frames (don't know about the curves) and gunwales are made of only lengthwise grain veneers. It looks good to me for any kind of planking and beams. The main disadvantages seems to be no sheets available, and at 600~700 kg/m³ it's almost twice as heavy as Okoume plywood of 330~410 kg/m³ at 12 % humidity. Maybe Vendia ply is stronger and can do with thinner scantlings . . ? ?

Example; 9 mm thick Vendia Pro plank. Widths: 100, 125, 150, 175, 200, 225, 250, 275, 300, 325, 350, 375, 400, 425 mm. Lengths: 2600 and 3000 mm.

‘‘ Face veneers are made of knot-free pine and core veneers of pine. VENDIA Pro consists of eight veneer layers in total: six lengthwise veneers and two crosswise veneers. Face veneer thickness is 1.5 mm (× 2 = 3 mm) and core veneer 1.2 mm (× 4 = 4.8 mm). Cross veneers are 0.6 mm (× 2 = 1.2 mm) thick. This structure increases the longitudinal stiffness of the plank and it meets the longitudinal stiffness of 12 mm solid plank. This product is developed with a boatbuilder for experienced boatbuilders. ’’

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
  7. Angélique

That seems to be a good test. The only mistake I've seen in the above horror story is that they've painted it dark blue, which makes it far hotter in the sun than white, but that shouldn't cause that kind of problems.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  8. Mr Efficiency

What rwatson calls Radiata Pine, would be better known to some as Monterey Pine. The AraucoPly sounds, from the name, like it would be derived from the Araucaria genus of pines, but I notice it is described on the website as being from plantation Radiata, a Pinus species ! In Australia, the local marine ply is commonly made from Hoop Pine, Araucaria cunninghamii.

9. rwatson

rwatson Senior Member

10. Mr Efficiency

There are actually Araucaria species native to South America, like the Monkey Puzzle Pine, which has a strong resemblance to the Australian Bunya Pine. Courtesy of the ancient "Gondwanaland" splitting eons ago. Monkey Puzzle Pine top picture.
    Monkey Pine .jpg

Bunya.jpg

11. juan manuel luna

juan manuel luna New Member

Hello! thanks for the reply! I read all the comments!. I could only find virola marine plywood, they say is similar to luan and mohagany. What do you think? thanks!

12. fallguy

fallguy Senior Member

Boil test.

It is that simple.

13. Yellowjacket

Yellowjacket Senior Member

If the glue is good quality marine glue the ply's won't delaminate if it gets wet, but the real issue will be that after a while it will tend to check if you don't put a layer of deck cloth (40z) glass over it... If you glass it, even with a light layer of cloth it'll be fine.

BlueBell likes this.
  14. Angélique

If the glue is of good marine quality, and if it's processed correctly, with wood of the right humidity degree, are things the consumer doesn't know without testing.

Best ask for a sample beforehand and test it as per post #5 and #12, and when buying then best test also a sample of each batch and thickness you get, and return it when not good.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019

15. Angélique

Of which brand, and what are the full specs . . ? - If you post that here then we can discuss it here, and best also ask the designer of your boat.

BlueBell likes this.