New to the metric system

Discussion in 'Boat Design' started by Ron Cook, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Ron Cook

Ron Cook Junior Member

Hi All,
    I am new to the forum and new to the metric system. I should have become comfortable with it a long time ago, but I guess better late then never.

It all seems straightforward except for the Newton. Is there a correlation between 9.81 Newtons per kg and the acceleration of gravity at 9.81 m/s squared?

Thanks,

Ron

2. boby boy

boby boy owner of cla boat design

I do Believe so.

3. Skippy

Skippy Senior Member

Right, the Newtons would be the weight. W=mg.

4. Raggi_Thor

Raggi_Thor Nav.arch/Designer/Builder

For practicality, say g=10 and density of water=1 (1kg/l = 1000kg/m3).

5. clarsen123

clarsen123 New Member

Metric is a whole lot easier than English, just break down everything into it's component units, string them along and see what cancels out. Much fewer funky multipliers. Actually, a Newton is a measurement of force N=(kg*m)/s^2, or can be described as Force=mass*gravity as the previous post says. It's another way of stating Force=mass*acceleration, where the acceleration is gravity (9.81m/s^2). If you divide a Newton by a kg, the mass (kg) units cancel, leaving you acceleration with (m/s^2) and the 9.81. Weight is actually a force W=m*g, not to be confused with mass, which exists even in zero gravity, and what causes intertia. Here's how I set up the equation. Hope this helps!

N
    -- =
    kg

kg * m
    -------- =
    kg * s^2

m
    ---
    s^2

6. Ron Cook

Ron Cook Junior Member

Hay Guys,

Thanks for the metric system input, yes it helps. I know I wil have more questions later.

Ron

Forum posts represent the experience, opinion, and view of individual users. Boat Design Net does not necessarily endorse nor share the view of each individual post.
When making potentially dangerous or financial decisions, always employ and consult appropriate professionals. Your circumstances or experience may be different.