New to restoration....

Discussion in 'Wooden Boat Building and Restoration' started by pmv_boatdrmer, Jul 4, 2011.

1. pmv_boatdrmer

pmv_boatdrmer New Member

I found a 1947 Chris-Craft 23 foot boat. The owner has had it un covered for many years in a field. The engine strarts....a diesel. The interiors were stripped and put in storage. The hull is painted and solid...no rot that is visible. The boards look as though they have shrunken but dont appwar warped. He wants 1500 for everything. Without seeing the boat....is this worth restoring? I like doing woodworking projects and love boating. Am i out of my league? Any idea if this able to be restored?

2. gonzo

gonzo Senior Member

Without seeing it, no. The first thing to consider is if you have a long term inside storage to work on the boat. Also, it will be more work than building a new boat. If the whole interior and metal fittings are complete and in good shape, it may be worth it. A survey will be your best investment. I often go survey boats and tell the prospective buyers to walk away after a quick look. Some surveyors will want full payment whether they perform a full survey or not.

1 person likes this.
  3. Adler

Adler Senior Member

Suggestion

Dear,

Is better option - based to your choice for woodworking and to your feelings for boating - to build a new one and to install a second hand engine.

This way gives you a adding value in case of sale - but of course that is depended to your talent - and besides that your efforts will be applied on your own project.

Through that you will learn more than you spent or on the other way you will be involved in an endless "money consumption".

4. PAR

PAR Yacht Designer/Builder

There is no such thing as a boat that has lived in a field uncovered for years that doesn't have rot, so someone is kidding themselves. If you're new to this sort of thing, the best advise anyone can provide, is to run as fast as you can in the opposite direction.

It takes years of experience just to learn how to select a reasonable candidate for restoration, let alone the expertise to preform all the necessary tasks involved in a restoration. So, if you have 3 times the budget you currently figure it will take to redo this old puppy and a strong willingness to inflict pain on yourself, then go for it.

If you've gotten past the last few paragraphs, then the first thing you need is a survey of the boat. Consider this your first investment, much like a home inspection before purchase. A professional, with experience on this type, looks her over and tells you what she needs, her general condition, value and if they're good, a basic plan of attack for repairs. I preform this sort of inspection regularly and on these types of projects, most of the time, someone is looking at replacement costs rather then restoration. In short, it takes a special boat, at a specific level of deterioration to be worthy of repair or restoration when they're pushing 3/4's of a century in age.